• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing for 3rd Dan Decided this weekend

Just out of interest, what does the "Decided" bit out of 3rd Dan Decided mean.

Am I being thick?

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest, what does the "Decided" bit out of 3rd Dan Decided mean.

Am I being thick?

No, you are not. After 3rd dan, there is no more recommended/decided rank declarations. It is basically a probationary period, where you learn another form, and then test again within another 6 months time. After completing the 3rd dan decided test, the student also gains instructor certification. So, it is kind of a weeding process, I guess.

Thanks for clarifying that.

That sounds like a great idea. I heard something similar with a Karate association in the UK. Not 2 tests as such, but the fact that they do not award their Dan grade certificates until six months after the examination.

Candidates know whether they have passed or failed on the day, but have to complete 6 months of regular training after, before they are given their certificates.

Very good idea me thinks.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Ok, the test was on Saturday, 9-29-07. We got started at about 10:30, and since the A_Train asked so nicely, here are the details! :D

I had to start by doing two sets of what are called Do-gans, which are essentially organized sets of Black Belt Basics. I had to do set 2, followed by set 3. My instructor had told me that I would probably have to do set 4, so while at the tail end of set 3, I started to think about set 4, and started to mix them together! :lol: However, it was only a few moves, and I recovered well and finished. After that mess up, but before finishing the set, my son in the crowed yelled out "Daddy" while I was still going, and it was quiet in the room. I was on the exam floor by myself, and all heard him. I had to smile while I finished up! :D :D Afterwards, the Grandmaster asked me: "Is he yours?" I told him yes, sir, and he replied: "Nothing wrong with having a cool dad" in his thickly Korean accented English. :D I thought that was cool.

After the Do-gans, all the Black Belts did the one-steps. There are 31 one-steps in all, and we do them consecutively. This part of the test always makes me tired, and I was tired from the Do-gans before as well. On one, I did 3 body punches, and it should have been 2 to the body, 1 to the head. I told my testing partner about it, but since I knew my mistake, he said it was not a big deal. When finished here, the Black Belts got to go downstairs to stretch out and prepare a bit more while the colored belts tested.

While stretching, I begin to see some of my rank practicing their board breaks, and some of theirs were different than mine. So I began asking around, and found out that the spin heel kick was a required break, and I had not anitipated that. :o So, I began to get nervous about board breaking. It turns out that my breaks have to be: spin side kick, jump front snap kick, spin heel kick, and flying side kick over three people. The breaking portion of the test was the part I was the most nervous about.

About 30 minutes later, we came back upstairs to begin the forms segment of the testing. I did Gae-Baek hyung, and then Se-Jong hyung. I felt like my forms looked pretty darn good compared to some of the others that were testing, and I felt like my preparation had paid off. After forms, we moved into testing sparring. I felt like sparring went ok. I didn't get a lot of kicking combinations in like I wanted to. I ended up picking my spots with the kicks, but I blocked and defended well, and several times I crammed inside after blocking to deliver some solid punching combinations to my partners. I sparred twice, and after the first match, I could feel spots on my body that my partner had made good contact on; it was a good match! After the second match, I felt no such spots, I did get to punch that partner quite a bit more.

One thing that I did notice watching some of the others spar was that it seemed like blocking had become a lost art form. I was just amazed at the kicks that were flying up head-level, that weren't even getting arms up to protect! It just kind of blew my mind. It is definitely something I will make sure the kids and adults of our school don't have a problem with.

After sparring, the moment of truth arrived....board breaking! I get my boards, 2 per break, and start preparing. First, was the spin side kick, which I had not done for a break in years. I set it up, and got it first try, left leg. Then the jump front snap, which gave me a few fits at the last testing. Right leg, first try. Then, the spin heel, which I had never done as a break. I decided to do a step, then spin. Left leg, and I got it on the first try! I was so pumped after that! When it came time for the flying side kick over three people, I set the boards up, and didn't even take a practice run. I just went to the end of the room, took off, and smashed them on the first try as well! I didn't take a total count, but I think I was one of just a few people who got all of the board breaks on the first try. I was so jacked up, and I came away from this testing feeling better than I had come away from any other testing ever before.

I won't know the official results for probably a week, but I think I passed. I will let you all know for sure when the results are official. Thanks for all your support! :karate:

Haha sounds great! I actually wouldn't have minded seeing it meself :lol:

Ah yes- blocking...when I first started sparring in my TKD class I caught the leg when someone threw a kick at me (which was a no go but I could understand), however I was using the blocks that I learned as well and was told not to use those either! :cry: maybe you need to start a movement once you get your 3rd dan eh?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Being told not to block is just crazy to me. I know that movement is important, but sometimes, you just have to block. All of my students will be able to do this. What I can't understand is that if these other instructors are seeing them do this in class, why don't they pull them aside and work it out with them?

Congrats! Tough break with the er.. breaks. :D Well done for getting it first time though.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

From the sounds of it, you should be a shoe in (from my limited experience) for your 3rd Dan. Congrats man!

As far as the blocking goes, yeah... I've seen a lot of bouts where neither person puts their hands up... It completely mystifies me as to why you wouldn't have your hands up. Not to mention it would help with getting your hand strikes in more quickly as well.

Now that I think about it, I was wondering if hand strikes are used in TKD sparring? All the bouts I've ever seen, the participants only seem to use their feet, is that a correct assumption?

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

Thanks, everyone. :karate:

Now that I think about it, I was wondering if hand strikes are used in TKD sparring? All the bouts I've ever seen, the participants only seem to use their feet, is that a correct assumption?

Olympic style sparring with the WTF is notorious for that. However, at the lower levels of competition, you will still see some punchers. The reason they don't waste their time punching is because it never really scores a point. Our style isn't strictly held to WTF standards, although we do pretty much use their rule system for sparring.