• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Run or fight

yesterday i was working out at the gym for about 1:30, and i decided to leeve and walk down around to the other side of that shopping complex to go to my mom cuz i got sick of waitin for her. About mid-way i realize ' I am super tired and if there are alot of bushes and dark spaces around here ( it was night time) and there arent any people around, sum1 could easily jump out and attack me if im not careful. So i naturally kept my guard up. Luckly for me nothing happended, but it got me wondering.

what if i had seen sum1 comming up or a group of kids start cumming in my direction. "do i run or do i fight"

if i run i might make it away :up: but if im not fast enough than they will catch me and plus i will be tired :down: . if i stand in fight than theres an chance i will win the fight:up: or they might beat me like i stole sumthing.:down:

not to mention im still tired from the gym. what would be the ideal thing to do in this situation.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the best way would always be to avoid the fight one way or another, whether its trying to talk your way out, or finding a way out before its to late I.e. head another direction or run, but if those options where not available before they were up and close to you where they are a threat then personally the only way to answer that would to be to feel out the "attackers" how many of them are there? What do they want? If only one how big is he? Does he look like a major threat? If more are they all major threats? Do you stand any chance of getting out unhurt with out fighting? If you make a dash do you have enough energy to last more than a few feet?

One you "ask" these questions to yourself and feel out the situation in your head, the answer is a lot easier and natural to make, a fun game to play is place yourself in the alley in your mind and then run through a number of different ways and what would be the wisest and most instinctive course of action for each one.

Keep your eyes forward, and try to get away, ignoring them. If you attempt to fight a group of people, even if it is only two, you still run a good chance of getting held down and beaten up badly. The best thing to do is avoid it at all costs. If you have to fight, then so be it; get rid of someone fast, and then get rid of the next someone fast. Then run.

Apart from sticking to well lit public areas when out at night, you can try to have a friend with you (power in numbers). That way at least 1 can run for help if needed.

Trying to talk down multiple people is very difficult, and unless you practice it regularly you wont have a great chance of calming down all of them, even with practice you may be calming down 1 person but another may be getting more aggressive. If escaping is not an option initially than going pre-emptive and/or finding an improvised weapon is your best shot at survival.

even with practice you may be calming down 1 person but another may be getting more aggressive.

In fact, this could very well be a group tactic that they are using against you. While you focus on talking one down (perhaps the one you perceive to be the leader) another may be gearing up for the surprise attack.

Apart from sticking to well lit public areas when out at night, you can try to have a friend with you (power in numbers). That way at least 1 can run for help if needed.

Trying to talk down multiple people is very difficult, and unless you practice it regularly you wont have a great chance of calming down all of them, even with practice you may be calming down 1 person but another may be getting more aggressive. If escaping is not an option initially than going pre-emptive and/or finding an improvised weapon is your best shot at survival.

The Buddy system. You stay here, I'll go get help. :)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

The Buddy system. You stay here, I'll go get help. :)

:D The downside is that one has to stay and face the group, but its better than being alone with no help in sight.

Cross has is right.

look for an improvised weapon.

don't look scared, look confident and keep moving - they may not want to mess with you if you look like you can handle yourself.

if they say something, just keep going being aware of these potential attackers.

go inside a local shop\business and ask the owner to call the police.

if none of the above works or is not possible, then you have to fight. thats why we train...

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Lots of good info here. But you would be surprised how big a differance adrenaline makes. Your basic feeling of being tired will go away very fast. I'm willing to bet you could get into one of the places inside the complex.

A general rule is to attempt to always run before confronting an enemy. Especially if there are more than one. If you have the option, run.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 4 weeks later...

the way I see it,

I'm a nice guy, I avoid being a jerk, acting tough, bullying & fights, if I get messed with, I didn't do anything, something is wrong with them, so for me to fight back I feel is justified. I have no problem doing so.

Also, I'm use to living in bad areas so body language is a big deal. With punks you have to let them know that your seriously not worth it in anyway. People generally choose the easy path.

hope this helps