• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ethics: What do I owe to my Sensei?

still kicking

I have been frustrated with my training. As a returning black belt after 20 years off, I had to start from the bottom again. After almost 2 years back I have only attained 6th kyu. This would be fine, except that objectively, and according to other observers, I am performing at a much higher level. To keep it short, my sensei seems to base rank more on seniority than actual ability or skill. Recently I phoned an instructor from another school from the same style, who has the same sensei as my teacher does. In other words, I have to test with my sensei's sensei to get a black belt, and this is also the sensei of the person who I phoned. My current sensei makes it out that his sensei is very demanding, and expects what I think of as an onerous amount of perfection before being presented to him as a possible black belt candidate. This other sensei, also his student, has a very different take on it. He thinks I should have been grandfathered in as a black belt, or if not, should be on a fast track. He has seen my karate, and thinks I could be ready to test for black belt with the head sensei within a year or two, if not sooner. If I continue training with my current sensei, it will take many years. There are 2 problems. This second sensei is located too far away for me to train with him more than once a week, and I doubt that my current sensei would be happy to be giving me a lot of help in class if I were actually claiming this other person as my sensei. The main thing, though, is that I want to behave in a way that is entirely ethical and above board, and I would not want to do anything that would show disrespect to my current sensei. The bottom line, though, is that I really don't agree with his approach to ranking. (I have not told the whole story, but the bottom line is that he has students who have been training for years who dont' seem to try that hard and aren't very skillful, but are several ranks ahead of people who are much better in every way). It's really complicated, but I am not that young any more and I think I deserve to both be respected for my previous accomplishments and recognized for my present ability. Would it be unethical to call this other person my sensei, and have him present me to the head sensei? It seems like it would be a major slap in the face to the sensei I have now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You don't owe your sensei anything more than the monthly dues for class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not told the whole story, but the bottom line is that he has students who have been training for years who dont' seem to try that hard and aren't very skillful, but are several ranks ahead of people who are much better in every way). Any advice would be much appreciated.

It sounds like you can already tell you'd be much better off training elsewhere.

Edited by lupus yonderboy

I have been frustrated with my training. As a returning black belt after 20 years off, I had to start from the bottom again. After almost 2 years back I have only attained 6th kyu. This would be fine, except that objectively, and according to other observers, I am performing at a much higher level. To keep it short, my sensei seems to base rank more on seniority than actual ability or skill. Recently I phoned an instructor from another school from the same style, who has the same sensei as my teacher does. In other words, I have to test with my sensei's sensei to get a black belt, and this is also the sensei of the person who I phoned. My current sensei makes it out that his sensei is very demanding, and expects what I think of as an onerous amount of perfection before being presented to him as a possible black belt candidate. This other sensei, also his student, has a very different take on it. He thinks I should have been grandfathered in as a black belt, or if not, should be on a fast track. He has seen my karate, and thinks I could be ready to test for black belt with the head sensei within a year or two, if not sooner. If I continue training with my current sensei, it will take many years. There are 2 problems. This second sensei is located too far away for me to train with him more than once a week, and I doubt that my current sensei would be happy to be giving me a lot of help in class if I were actually claiming this other person as my sensei. The main thing, though, is that I want to behave in a way that is entirely ethical and above board, and I would not want to do anything that would show disrespect to my current sensei. The bottom line, though, is that I really don't agree with his approach to ranking. (I have not told the whole story, but the bottom line is that he has students who have been training for years who dont' seem to try that hard and aren't very skillful, but are several ranks ahead of people who are much better in every way). It's really complicated, but I am not that young any more and I think I deserve to both be respected for my previous accomplishments and recognized for my present ability. Would it be unethical to call this other person my sensei, and have him present me to the head sensei? It seems like it would be a major slap in the face to the sensei I have now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Why would it be unethical, or even a slap in the face? Your sensei is someone you train with.. any idea of "loyalty" is kind of silly in this instance.

I'd not worry too much about whether I'm a black belt or not - and concern myself more with who has the most realistic and functional classes. But that's me.

• 2 months later...

I was in a similiar predicament when I returned to training after a 11 year gap. It bothered me at first, but over time it became insignificant and it dawned on me just how much I had forgot in my time out and that I didn't deserve to wear my previous grade in a dojo anyway. I had to start again but I am now back up to 2nd kyu. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter what colour belt is round your waist, as long as you are enjoying yourself and learning new stuff. Theres no real rush to get to your dan grade and as someone has mentioned previously, the longer you stay at a certain level, the better you will become at that level.