• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

same block/2 different ways

lexmark

This way you don't have to offend anyone by going over his/her head to the Sensei.

That was kind of my thinking on it. I didn't want to say to my Sensei that I was shown 2 different ways to do the block because I didn't want them to be put on the spot for maybe not doing things correctly.

After one has been studying ma for a few years, is it acceptable to be doing forms and techniques that might be a little different than what you were first taught by the sensei? As long as the basic movement is there? I figure that for at least the first 2 or 3 belts, techniques and things should be done like the sensei showed you.

My Sensei has also told me though that for some things, you do whatever feels most comfortable.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
After one has been studying ma for a few years, is it acceptable to be doing forms and techniques that might be a little different than what you were first taught by the sensei? As long as the basic movement is there? I figure that for at least the first 2 or 3 belts, techniques and things should be done like the sensei showed you.

My Sensei has also told me though that for some things, you do whatever feels most comfortable.

There will come a time when you have been doing things long enough to know if you need to try something different to make it work. Don't confuse this with being inexperienced, though. Obviously, if you haven't had any experience with something, it will feel unnatural to you. Just because this is so, doesn't mean you should start doing things "your way" right away. You have to give it time.

There will come a time when you have been doing things long enough to know if you need to try something different to make it work. Don't confuse this with being inexperienced, though. Obviously, if you haven't had any experience with something, it will feel unnatural to you. Just because this is so, doesn't mean you should start doing things "your way" right away. You have to give it time.
I'm with you 110% bushido_man!
Whilst in accordance with principles of "Su-Ha-Ri" adaptation does take place, I am not sure it’s at blue belt. It’s a bit too soon in my opinion.
I think at blue belt what they need to "transcend " is ignorance and rough/poor execution of technique. :D

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Hmm, I am not to sure that a blue belt is really qualified to teach

Agreed. As I hinted before, I am not saying they always do a great job. I'm just saying they do teach as part of their training at that level.

my point was not so much about teaching ability, but was more in response to Bushido_mans comments about "adjusting techniques" to suit each individual.

I guess I got a little off-focus. What I meant to say was that as a Blue Belt, many assistants do adjust their technique either for their own performance purposes or to make it easier to explain to others. Again, this is not always the best answer, but people do it a lot. And sometimes they do so without even realizing it. I suppose this experimentation is a normal part of learning. But I agree that many times, they should not attempt this since they are not fully qualified to analyze advanced techniques.

Whilst in accordance with principles of "Su-Ha-Ri" adaptation does take place, I am not sure it’s at blue belt. It’s a bit too soon in my opinion.

What are these principles of "Su-Ha-Ri"? It sounds like it may include a recommended level at which students are allowed (or expected) to adapt movements to suit other purposes. If that is so, it is different from the adaptation I mentioned as being common at blue belt level. I did not mean they should adapt things. I'm only saying that they do. Some may do it as they try to make an otherwise difficult movement work for them. Or they adjust things without realizing it. They may believe they are doing it the same way it was taught even if they are not. Of course this will cause confusion so hopefully they learn not to do this very often. That's what I was getting at before. Sorry if I was unclear.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

Hi AikiGuy,

No worries. All too easy for the written word to be misunderstood on these forums.

I think you are right, that at blue belt, what people might be demonstrating is "experimentation" of what they are learning, and actually I don’t think that’s a bad thing for a beginner to be exposed to that as its all part of the communal learning thing.

It is however very different to the Su-Ha-Ri principle, as these "developments" (rather than adaptation) occur at a much more senior level.

This explains it way better than I can:

https://www.wadokarate.eclipse.co.uk/shuhari.htm

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Well, I did ask my sensei to show me after class the other night. And it was more like what the female blue belt showed me. So I'm gonna do it that way and if someone tries to correct me, I will tell them that I'm only doing it the way sensei showed me.