• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

same block/2 different ways

lexmark

Had a blue belt showing me and 2 other white belts some basic blocks and things in class last night. The one I'm having a hard time with is Soto ude uke. I thought I was doing it correcty but apparently I'm not. I'm not gonna try to explain how I was doing it versus how she said I should cos I don't thinkI could do it effectively.

Anyway, after the class was over I asked another blue belt if he could demonstrate and he showed me a different way. His way was more like an uppercut. Twist so that my upper body is in line, drop my arm against my side and come forward and up like an uppercut.

THe problem is that now I'm confused. Which way do I do it, his way or her way? Or shoudl I ask my sensei how he wants it done and then do it that way no matter how a senior student shows me how to do it? He's the sensei for a reason but I don't want a higher belt to think I'm just wasting their time when they are trying to show me something and I won't do it their way if it's different than what sensei shows me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do what your sensei teaches you.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Well coming through like an upper cut is just an uppercut it is not the technique however you can do it either way i was always taught you can end the movement like an upper cut in that when you open your body at the start of the technique arm starts out wide and as you step through you can either bring the arm across or through and across with twist at the end.

Hope that helps

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Montana speaks the truth. If you are ever confused as to how to do a technique properly, ask your sensei. Personally, I don't think that in shotokan, a blue belt is really qualified to "teach".

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Personally, I don't think that in shotokan, a blue belt is really qualified to "teach".

Well, there are only 2 bb besides the sensei and neither of them was there last night but he does have a couple of browns. He might have had hte blue belt showing us so that she could keep sharp on the basics, I don't know. But he does have an official sempei that hurt his back at work but once he's able, he'll be back to class.

His wife is playing that role now. She has a brown belt that has a white stripe. Don't know what that means.

Ask your Sensei but yes there are differant ways to do the same blocking. The diffance in the 2 may come from their misunderstanding, past exp in other styles or even a confusing it with another move.

I teach my students this. There is basically only 4 things you can do with you amrs. Rising, Inside, Outside and Down block. But if you can do those you can throw backfist, uppercuts, hooks, jabs, etc becasue its basically the same motion if you really look at it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Montana speaks the truth. If you are ever confused as to how to do a technique properly, ask your sensei. Personally, I don't think that in shotokan, a blue belt is really qualified to "teach".

Yes, when in doubt, ask the sensei.

This is one of the downfalls of allowing others to teach that may not have a lot of experience. I think that it is important for instructors to spend time with their assistants doing forms and evaluating how each of the moves are done, so that when this kind of circumstance arises, then everyone can expect to be on the same page.

Another thing to consider, playing devil's advocate here, is that when you ask someone else how to perform a technique, they may do it differently because the different way works better for them. Martial Artists will adjust techniques all of the time to better suit their body style. Just something to consider. They may not be wrong.

In the end, however, talk to your sensei to avoid all confusion.

Another thing to consider, playing devil's advocate here, is that when you ask someone else how to perform a technique, they may do it differently because the different way works better for them. Martial Artists will adjust techniques all of the time to better suit their body style. Just something to consider. They may not be wrong.

Not at blue belt though I think.

I take your point though, and also maybe the subject was discussed more on an informal level, i.e. one club member to another rather than a formal teaching.

Again ask your sensei for clarification, but also chances are you will work it out for yourself.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Yes, most certainly at blue belt (although sometimes they shouldn't). When I was a blue belt, I taught lower ranks all the time. The other blue belts and I would compare methods and found that we had many different ways of doing or explaining the same techniques. If there was a big difference, we usually agreed that we all had valid ways of doing them but we should ask Sensei which way to teach it so we don't confuse the newer students.

Everyone who said check with your Sensei is right. However Lexmark, you have a good point about not wanting the assistants to think you are wasting their time. The next time two assistants show you conflicting explanations of the same thing, point it out to either of them and let them take it from there to clarify it. Say something like "Here's your way and here's his way. Are both acceptable?" or "When should I use each variation?" An assistant can then compare notes with the other assistant or check with the instructor and give you a better answer. This way you don't have to offend anyone by going over his/her head to the Sensei. The assistant will appreciate this too since you are letting him do his job instead of making him look bad to the instructor.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

Yes, most certainly at blue belt (although sometimes they shouldn't). When I was a blue belt, I taught lower ranks all the time. The other blue belts and I would compare methods and found that we had many different ways of doing or explaining the same techniques. If there was a big difference, we usually agreed that we all had valid ways of doing them but we should ask Sensei which way to teach it so we don't confuse the newer students.

Everyone who said check with your Sensei is right. However Lexmark, you have a good point about not wanting the assistants to think you are wasting their time. The next time two assistants show you conflicting explanations of the same thing, point it out to either of them and let them take it from there to clarify it. Say something like "Here's your way and here's his way. Are both acceptable?" or "When should I use each variation?" An assistant can then compare notes with the other assistant or check with the instructor and give you a better answer. This way you don't have to offend anyone by going over his/her head to the Sensei. The assistant will appreciate this too since you are letting him do his job instead of making him look bad to the instructor.

Hmm, I am not to sure that a blue belt is really qualified to teach, but that aside my point was not so much about teaching ability, but was more in response to Bushido_mans comments about "adjusting techniques" to suit each individual.

Whilst in accordance with principles of "Su-Ha-Ri" adaptation does take place, I am not sure it’s at blue belt. It’s a bit too soon in my opinion.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com