• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good books about taekwondo

Just reminds us that Tae Kwon Do is not just about kicking, punching, sparring, and making money. Traditional TKD has a very deep spiritual/philosophical element that sometimes gets lost in the hype.

I truly think it depends more on what the master likes to focus on, as opposed to it being heavily laden in the art. I don't do any meditation or Ki focus, but still feel that I get the full benefits of TKD. The philosophy is a nice touch for those who are interested in that aspect, but I prefer not to really study it as much. I already have my own personal philosphies that serve me very well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take away the philosophical aspects and it simply becomes Tae Kwon. One of the reasons I enjoy Richard Chun's books is that he delves into spiritual/philosophical aspects of Tae Kwon Do and tries to show how important those are to the art.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

And as a side point, I find it interesting that almost every founding Instructor of Tae Kwon Do suffixed their art's name with "Do"-Tang Soo DO, Kong Soo DO, Hwa Soo DO. They realized even then that good philosophy was a part of the art.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

And as a side point, I find it interesting that almost every founding Instructor of Tae Kwon Do suffixed their art's name with "Do"-Tang Soo DO, Kong Soo DO, Hwa Soo DO. They realized even then that good philosophy was a part of the art.

"Do" does not equate philosophy, it only translates as "the way of", "path of" or "art of". Many martial arts contain the "do" aspect, it means is fight in the way of karate, the way of Tae Kwon etc. "Do" is also by no means a korean word, the korean masters took it from the Japanese arts. I think "do" in Korean actually is a suffix used to denote a province or island?

You may choose to assimilate philosophy as part of the "Do" aspect but to say that without philosophy you do not have the art form is wrong IMO. You can offer people the spiritual aspect however it is up to them whether they choose to believe in it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

"Do" does not equate philosophy, it only translates as "the way of", "path of" or "art of". Many martial arts contain the "do" aspect, it means is fight in the way of karate, the way of Tae Kwon etc. "Do" is also by no means a korean word, the korean masters took it from the Japanese arts. I think "do" in Korean actually is a suffix used to denote a province or island?

You may choose to assimilate philosophy as part of the "Do" aspect but to say that without philosophy you do not have the art form is wrong IMO. You can offer people the spiritual aspect however it is up to them whether they choose to believe in it.

I agree. I can live on the "TKD path" without adhering to a philosophical outlook propogated by one individual. I don't feel that my personal outlooks and ideas of how things should be are reflected from my Martial Arts training, but from my upbringing and life experiences. In the end, we all follow our own "path" in life; even those who don't study a Martial Art. This "Do" that I speak of doesn't have to be complex or terribly spiritual; it is to each his own. On the flip side, I don't feel that I should force my viewpoints and ideals on someone else to make them believe that "this is the way of TKD" or some other style. I can share my ideas with them, and then justify them to them, but if they don't choose to follow along, then that is ok. It doesn't make them any less of a Martial Artist, or a Taekwondoist.

Ch’ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul Real Applications to the ITF Patterns by Stuart Paul Anslow is also a good read, but will be more beneficial, I believe, to someone with extensive experience with the forms of TKD in the Ch'ang On system.

• 2 months later...
Just reminds us that Tae Kwon Do is not just about kicking, punching, sparring, and making money. Traditional TKD has a very deep spiritual/philosophical element that sometimes gets lost in the hype.

Can someone explain more about this philosophy please?

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

Well, what exactly would you like to know? Maybe I can give a little something for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, what exactly would you like to know? Maybe I can give a little something for you.

Is it studied for religious purposes? Does it have a "code of conduct" (Think Bushido)? Is it seen as 100% self-defence/discipline or seen as bettering oneself with the added bonus of being able to defend yourself?.... Sorry, I'm finding it hard communicate my questions properly today...

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

It has to do with becoming a better person through the training. Many focus on the 5 tenents, which include integrity, self-control, indomitable spirit, perserverance, and loyalty. It has to do with the idea that as you gain rank and power in your techniques, you also gain responsibility, and have to conduct yourself so as not to abuse what you know.