• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DEFENDO

Have a look at this site, for discussion purposes, and tell me what u think:

http://www.defendo.com

I dunno, i can't help but be sceptical. I've sent this Bill Wolfe bloke a couple of emails explaining that i'm a crosstrainer etc etc... He seems to think that crosstraining is the go, but DEFENDO was created by the 'original' crosstrainer, some dude back in the 20's. I suppose i'l have to get my arse kicked by one of the DEFENDO guys before i can really and truly ackowledge it as good system... :dodgy:

Angus :karate: :up:

Reason with an assailant first, THEN break their face!

- Angus Argyle

This Message was edited by: Angus on Aug 4, 2001 6:48pm

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i checked out that site and it seems to be another of many of those types that give you the basics of the so called dirty fighting techniques........interesting but how much MONEY is the question...do i dare say SCARS here.... :nod: :???:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

Yeah, that's what i was thinking... The guy does have some good experience though man, and he was interviewed on radio martial arts at kickboxing.com

I think crosstraining is definately the way to go, so i don't think i would even stick to DEFENDO as the one style i'd ever do...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 1 year later...
Have a look at this site, for discussion purposes, and tell me what u think:

http://www.defendo.com

I dunno, i can't help but be sceptical. I've sent this Bill Wolfe bloke a couple of emails explaining that i'm a crosstrainer etc etc... He seems to think that crosstraining is the go, but DEFENDO was created by the 'original' crosstrainer, some dude back in the 20's. I suppose i'l have to get my * kicked by one of the DEFENDO guys before i can really and truly ackowledge it as good system... :dodgy:

Reason with an assailant first, THEN break their face!

- Angus Argyle

I have seen the defendo site and I think it's basically same as my Pankration other then the fact that we don't do weapons training.

We both do grappling and stand up fighting although I'm not sure what kind of stand up fighting they do.

Scars,Defendo and Pankration look similar to me other then the fact that Defendo and Scars teaches weapons as well.

They claim to have taught their stuff in U.S forces,however does someone have to have been in Forces to have learnt that stuff and to teach it?

My instructor has never been in Canadian Forces and teaches Pankration which has same or similar unarmed techniques.

All three styles involve both stand up and grappling and both based on street defense and are being used in army if scars and defendo's claims are true.

Pankration was fought in ancient Greek Olympics.

The muay thai in pankration was and still is used in Thailand's army and has become part of elite military and law-enforcement training all over the world. Organizations like the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Navy Seals, and SWAT have adopted Muay Thai techniques as part of their hand to hand combat basis.

Submission which is grappling is also practiced in Pankration.

My point is how are scars and defendo any different as far as unarmed combat is concerned?

There is no difference,if you look at sites on these styles you will see they teach the same or similar types of techniques for stand up and grappling.

Hmm... looks intresting. A varied spectrum of techniques from different MA's...

Wolfe really sounds like he knows what he is talking about. If he is the real thing, I do not think he is tryingh to make money off of peple by trying to sell some hokey self defense system. He may have wanted to create his own system of combat... kinda like what Bruce Lee did, Maybe wolfe just kept all the useful things and got rid of the rest.

If he is the real deal that is.

Nick

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

Looks pretty good to me. But the difference with this guy, bill wolfe and scars is that bill wolfe is decorated in various martial arts. where as scars. are just a few ex-navy seals who have created their own system. I personally would put my well being in scars training. but, defendo seems, appealing for some reason.

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

I think Defendo seems appealing because A) the guy knows his stuff

B) The system looks like it would work in alot of situations, looks like alot of a mix of grappling, Judo and SOME strikes, mostly grappling and submissons. =) Right down your alley JJF.

Nick

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

It actually seems a lot like combat hapkido... although perhaps the wrestling aspect is missing (from hapkido).

My one comment about his pistol disarming (in the intro video) is that he grabs the pistol constantly by the top. Our instructor teaches us to control the hand, and you will control the pistol.. Espescially for a non-revolver style gun, as the chamber (terminology? the top part of the gun) will take the skin right off your hand if you are holding it and the gun is discharged. Although aside from that minor quibble, the style looks very much the same as Hapkido disarming techniques. :)

The Comparative Martial Arts Page: http://www.vaporspace.net/~diablos/martialarts/