• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decorum in the dojo

If I were the Instructor, I would have a sit-down with them to go over what kind of behavior I expect. Before class is designed to allow you to prepare for practice. No PDA before class. Before you arrive and after class outside the practice hall is okay. Inside the practice hall you are expected to behave professionally.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you blame them? What locale could possibly be more romantic than a dojo?

:lol: :lol: That's where I met my wife!

However, when my wife and I started dating, it took the instructor about 2 weeks to figure it out, and he didn't figure it out in class. He saw us at the local bowling alley together one night, and that is how he found out.

I think you are right, and the sensei should have probably mentioned something to the couple about their demeaner while at class.

Seriously? That's really awesome! I hope my girlfriend does my martial arts...

Yep! :D :D

I guess it really depends on the formality of the school. Some places I've been have been so informal that you just use the sensei's first name to address him. Personally, I feel that the dojo's not the place for that sort of thing, but I suppose it's up to the sensei.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Some places I've been have been so informal that you just use the sensei's first name to address him. Personally, I feel that the dojo's not the place for that sort of thing, but I suppose it's up to the sensei.

I have heard that most BJJ gyms are like this. Personally, I think this kind of relaxed setting would be a nice change.

Some places I've been have been so informal that you just use the sensei's first name to address him. Personally, I feel that the dojo's not the place for that sort of thing, but I suppose it's up to the sensei.

I have heard that most BJJ gyms are like this. Personally, I think this kind of relaxed setting would be a nice change.

We address our instructors as "Sir/Ma'am" (I assume, the female instructor runs the kids' classes so I don't know for sure), but they will often let it slide, particularly for those close in rank to them.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

The bjj and MMA gym that I was fortunate enough to train at (if even for a very short amount of time), was VERY casual. It didn't really matter what rank you were in Bjj- everyone used first names and the mood was very light. They had a kids program which did use the title 'sir' for the instructor though I believe, but other than that everyone was in a general light mood if not a bit tough looking on the outside at times :) .

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

My wife and I train at the same place, and the closest we ever get to a public display of affection is a swift kick in the butt.

At 20 they are old enough to have been told, or understand on their own that there is a time, and a place.

Can you blame them? What locale could possibly be more romantic than a dojo?

:lol: :lol: That's where I met my wife!

However, when my wife and I started dating, it took the instructor about 2 weeks to figure it out, and he didn't figure it out in class. He saw us at the local bowling alley together one night, and that is how he found out.

I think you are right, and the sensei should have probably mentioned something to the couple about their demeaner while at class.

Seriously? That's really awesome! I hope my girlfriend does my martial arts...

Yep! :D :D

bushido....you're nightowl's girlfriend? :P :lol:

Nightowl, if she doesn't, you can always try to get her into martial arts.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

bushido....you're nightowl's girlfriend? :P :lol:

:x Ref takes a point away for a low blow!!!! :lol: :lol:

My username is bushido_man96, not bushido_woman96.... :P

One of our mental drills: "What's the first step to strong mind training?" "Martial Arts etiquette, SIR!"

We always teach everyone that when they walk through the door, they leave the "regular" world outside and prepare for training.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.