• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decorum in the dojo

We have a boyfriend/girlfriend couple in my class and I'd like to ask for opinions on something.

I've noticed that before class starts they like to hang out in a corner and while they are not all over each other, they're not just talking either. It's not that I have a problem with what they are doing I just think that kind of stuff can wait until they are home or wherever. Just don't do it in the dojo. Sensei doesn't seem to care. I think they are at most around 20.

Anybody else agree or am I just acting like some old fuddy-duddy? I'm only 30 by the way.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never cared to see people be overly affectionate in public. I always feel like saying, quite loudly, "hey, get a room!" At my school, several years ago, we had two students that were dating, but they didn't make it obvious. I prefer it that way, but that is just my opinion.

Ed

Ed

Once you enter the dojang, professional behavior is expected and required. Outside of class, you can act like a dating couple. In class, you are students.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

Well I don't consider a Dojo a place to be romantic anymore than a regular school is. I could name a bunch of places that are romantic but a dojo isn't on the list.

I have ninja monkies in my brain and they are using it as a trampaline.

Can you blame them? What locale could possibly be more romantic than a dojo?

:lol: :lol: That's where I met my wife!

However, when my wife and I started dating, it took the instructor about 2 weeks to figure it out, and he didn't figure it out in class. He saw us at the local bowling alley together one night, and that is how he found out.

I think you are right, and the sensei should have probably mentioned something to the couple about their demeaner while at class.

think you are right, and the sensei should have probably mentioned something to the couple about their demeaner while at class.

He doesn't seem to care. He has made some comments jokingly that the boyfriend needs to get her in line and things like that. I'll just ignore it so long as it doesn't disrupt the class. But if I was the sensei, I would tell them that they should be focusing on the karate while in class, not each other.

Well against my previous entry, I still think a Dojo isn't a place for making out but I guess as long as it doesn't disrupt the class then I would let it slide but if it got too heavy I would say something to them in private. Well that is if I was the sensei.

I have ninja monkies in my brain and they are using it as a trampaline.

Can you blame them? What locale could possibly be more romantic than a dojo?

:lol: :lol: That's where I met my wife!

However, when my wife and I started dating, it took the instructor about 2 weeks to figure it out, and he didn't figure it out in class. He saw us at the local bowling alley together one night, and that is how he found out.

I think you are right, and the sensei should have probably mentioned something to the couple about their demeaner while at class.

Seriously? That's really awesome! I hope my girlfriend does my martial arts...

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt