• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help me please!!!

ATA is the American version of GKR. They do not go door to door however. It is a system of Tae Kwon Do. They specialize in working with children.

Many people do not like them because they are expensive and they promote extremely fast. They also have a program for XMA. I will admit, however, I went in and asked what thier mission and goals are. They said, "we want to promote physical fitness through the use of martial arts techniques." So, IMO, they are pretty up front that martial skill is not a huge priority.

Here's the website:

http://www.ataonline.com/

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
ATA is the American version of GKR. They do not go door to door however. It is a system of Tae Kwon Do. They specialize in working with children.

I don't know that I would say that they specialize in working with children, but they do have programs that are geared towards children in particular, and they seem to be the most popular age attracted to the ATA schools, because of that reason. They do have some very good adult programs, too.

Another thing that would stand the ATA out from GKR is their system for certifying instructors. In the ATA, you have to be at least a 2nd degree, I think, and you must complete a certain amount of hours as a trainee instructor before attending certification camp to become a certified instructor.

• 3 weeks later...
Looking to start my 7 and 5 year old sons in a martial arts school. We are looking at ATA BlackBelt Academy or another school that teaches a style mixed of the best techniques from Karate, TaeKwonDo, Judo, JuJutsu, Aikido, Arnis, Kung Fu and weapons. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just one peace of advise....NEVER...EVER....EVER, and I mean NEVER!!! SIGN A CONTRACT.

If the instructor wont let you train without one, leave. A good instructor will rely on his training ability to retain his students, not on an agreement with your debit card.

That being said, don't look at the flags on the wall or the style, look at the people and find a good group of people. If you are going to be training 3 nights a week or so, you wanna have a good group of people to sit and commiserate with while your kids are learning.

A finally, let the teacher teach, and do not try to coach from the side lines. leave the dojo if you have to in order to control yourself. If the insrtuctor likes you, your child will get the best training ever. If you try to be an arm chair blackbelt, then he will teach your kid till he quits, then he will do a happy dance, knowing that you're gone too.

place clever martial arts phrase here

Just one peace of advise....NEVER...EVER....EVER, and I mean NEVER!!! SIGN A CONTRACT.

If the instructor wont let you train without one, leave. A good instructor will rely on his training ability to retain his students, not on an agreement with your debit card.

I disagree. I pay my dues via direct deposit, through a contract. Not a bid deal, really. If the Martial Arts are something that you are serious about, and will be devoting a significant amount of time to, then signing a contract is not a major concern. One of the main things that it does is allows the instructor to be a teacher, as opposed to becoming a bill collector.

to be a teacher, as opposed to becoming a bill collector.

well, I am a teacher, and my students pay and I don't chase money. And I don't have contracts. If you are worth it, paying isn't an issue. no card needed...... if you live in az and want lessons.... look me up!!! :lol:

place clever martial arts phrase here

to be a teacher, as opposed to becoming a bill collector.

well, I am a teacher, and my students pay and I don't chase money. And I don't have contracts. If you are worth it, paying isn't an issue. no card needed...... if you live in az and want lessons.... look me up!!! :lol:

Well, I am a bit away from Arizona, (Kansas!!), but if I ever get that way, I will!!!

Bushido, please note that I would never charge YOU for lessons anyway, but you'd have to share your secrets with me. :)

Well, I don't have any secrets, really. But I would be more than willing to swap information and ideas. I am always open to suggestions.