NO to low kicks! Yes to high kicks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you risk a high kick in a street altercation? unless you have blinding speed with it, your just asking for trouble. a well placed low line kick not only will inflict pain but will aslo open up the OP to be finished off therefore, getting you out of the situation as quickly as possible

Close the gap and destroy!

why would you risk a high kick in a street altercation? unless you have blinding speed with it, your just asking for trouble. a well placed low line kick not only will inflict pain but will aslo open up the OP to be finished off therefore, getting you out of the situation as quickly as possible

That's if the low kick will work. There are several guys I train with how don't feel a thing if you catch them on the leg. Hit them in the nose though.. :cry:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

That's if the low kick will work. There are several guys I train with how don't feel a thing if you catch them on the leg. Hit them in the nose though.. :cry:

Certainly hitting someone in the nose hurts. But who's to say that the foot is a sensible weapon to be hitting the nose with?

Most systems use some variation of the "closest weapon, closest target" principle. Following this approach, the foot and the nose are basically furthest weapon to furthest target. Not a tactically sound approach at all, particularly in a self protection context.

Certainly hitting someone in the nose hurts. But who's to say that the foot is a sensible weapon to be hitting the nose with?

Most systems use some variation of the "closest weapon, closest target" principle. Following this approach, the foot and the nose are basically furthest weapon to furthest target. Not a tactically sound approach at all, particularly in a self protection context.

Not everyone expects the use of the legs though. Certainly most of the fights I've seen people tend to box rather than anything else. And if you are boxing, throwing a kick to the head admist the punching is not going to be expected. Sure it needs flexibility but it can be done. Its a tactic I use in normal sparring.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

truly, i think it's just a pick your poison situation. both can be good both can be bad, as with everything. it is said that if you set it up right, anything will work(anything martial arts that is). nobody's going to let you punch them right in the face, but if you set it up right, they can't help it.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

a good groin kick or kneecap strike much better than high kicks

the groin is a quick response especially in self defense situations and when talking to women, but its actually been proven that groins are just a little below OK but not a great idea. for many reasons including it doesnt take much to cut off the target, just simply turning to the side, then you are off balance and they are not(big trouble!) also it isnt a big target(in most cases :o ) so missing and slipping are very easy. also its not an extremely painful target, is it painful, heck yeah, but nothing in comparison to a punch or kick anywhere else, and its certainly not deadly, so a few seconds later the man's reaction to your groin kick is going to be a hugely angry reaction where now you have bigger problems than you probably began with. kneecaps are also a little bit of a risk, its best to attack those from the side...not the kneecap itself per-se. but then again, anything can work if its set up properly, how you'll set somebody up to spread-em beats me :lol:

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

a good groin kick or kneecap strike much better than high kicks

the groin is a quick response especially in self defense situations and when talking to women, but its actually been proven that groins are just a little below OK but not a great idea. for many reasons including it doesnt take much to cut off the target, just simply turning to the side, then you are off balance and they are not(big trouble!) also it isnt a big target(in most cases :o ) so missing and slipping are very easy. also its not an extremely painful target, is it painful, heck yeah, but nothing in comparison to a punch or kick anywhere else, and its certainly not deadly, so a few seconds later the man's reaction to your groin kick is going to be a hugely angry reaction where now you have bigger problems than you probably began with. kneecaps are also a little bit of a risk, its best to attack those from the side...not the kneecap itself per-se. but then again, anything can work if its set up properly, how you'll set somebody up to spread-em beats me :lol:

You must be girl because any man knows that the groin is the mother of all pain haha. No but seriously, it is the most painful place to get struck, I would rather take 10 punches to the head than that. You do make good point it not being the easiest place to strike however, especially the kneecap is a small target to be aiming at.