• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD'er going to Karate

Myst

Very good point, Montana. You can't go in with assumptions of what it might be like. Just empty your cup! :karate:

I wasn't thinking so much of assumptions bushido...more like keep an open mind about how things are done, and WHY they are done that way. The blocks will be similar, as will kicks and everything else...but different...for a reason.

For examples, I've seen some TKD'ers do a high block where their forearm is parallel with the ground. For some/most Okinawan systems, the arm is at a 45 degree angle to the floor, not 90. Another is the chamber of the foot when kicking, and the execution of a roundhouse kick. Another is our rather unique "whip kick"...I've never seen another system do it. It's a bone breaker. I could do a long topic just on the differences, and reason for those differences, between the Okinawan system I practice and TKD, and why we do them the way we do.

Actually...now that I think about it...lol

you hold your arm at 45 so when something hits it it deflects the energy down and away rather that don on ur head

"Theres no point, you kicked him in the butthole." comment made during a sparring match.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic