• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD'er going to Karate

Myst

Hi everyone. I've trained in tkd for 12 years and earned my 4th dan, and my master wants me to start training in Karate. I've earned a brown belt in Okinawan Kenpo (we use bo, sai, tonfa, & ekubo), but I went to my first class last night and found that I don't know any of the emptyhand kata (except Naihanchi Shodan). Not trying to stereotype, but I know some Karate practitioners have negative opinions towards TKD. Could someone give an unbaised explanation of the basic differences in TKD and Karate (I think the system I'm training in is Okinawan Kenpo Karate Kobudo)? Thank you, and I'm excited to be learning this art. I walked through a couple of the kata last night (Naihanchi Nidan, Samdan, and Wansu, I think) and they're beautiful. :)

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the TKD schools that I have seen do forms, but don't work with applications, whereas this is more of a theme. If you were in an Olympic style of TKD, then you will notice a considerable difference in the sparring rules and strategies.

I think that you will also notice a significant difference in the amount of kicking done in Karate. I think you will see more hand techniques, and some different applications for them. You will find many of the same kicks, but just less emphasis on them, and perhaps not throwing them as high as in TKD.

My best advice for making the cange from TKD to any Okinawan system, is to keep an open mind. It's going to be different...WAY different if that Okinawan Kenpo is anything like what I do.

One question though.....

my master wants me to start training in Karate.

WHY???

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Very good point, Montana. You can't go in with assumptions of what it might be like. Just empty your cup! :karate:

I wasn't thinking so much of assumptions bushido...more like keep an open mind about how things are done, and WHY they are done that way. The blocks will be similar, as will kicks and everything else...but different...for a reason.

For examples, I've seen some TKD'ers do a high block where their forearm is parallel with the ground. For some/most Okinawan systems, the arm is at a 45 degree angle to the floor, not 90. Another is the chamber of the foot when kicking, and the execution of a roundhouse kick. Another is our rather unique "whip kick"...I've never seen another system do it. It's a bone breaker. I could do a long topic just on the differences, and reason for those differences, between the Okinawan system I practice and TKD, and why we do them the way we do.

Actually...now that I think about it...lol

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Doing a quick search on "whip kick", I see TKD does one called that also, but from the description...it's not even close to the same thing we do. It has to do with the execution of certain kicks, not a specific kick in itself.

WHY???
Well, I'm still training in TKD & weapons on a regular basis at my dojang (mine offers both tkd and okinawan kenpo), but my master wanted me to start training with his master in kenpo and karate. Kyoshi Coffin is wicked awesome - lived in Okinawa for several years, training with Master Odo, competing in the circuits. He's absolutely terrifying at first, but very knowledgable about his art.

For examples, I've seen some TKD'ers do a high block where their forearm is parallel with the ground. For some/most Okinawan systems, the arm is at a 45 degree angle to the floor, not 90. Another is the chamber of the foot when kicking, and the execution of a roundhouse kick. Another is our rather unique "whip kick"...I've never seen another system do it. It's a bone breaker. I could do a long topic just on the differences, and reason for those differences, between the Okinawan system I practice and TKD, and why we do them the way we do.
In TKD, almost all of the angles we use are 45 degrees - I think it's more practical that way, in terms of self-defense. You want to deflect the momentum, instead of bearing the full brunt of it. Hmmm.... Whip kick.... I'll have to look it up. I think our term for that type of kick is "snapping kick". In TKD, we basically have two "types" of kicks: thrusting and snapping.

I think that you will also notice a significant difference in the amount of kicking done in Karate. I think you will see more hand techniques, and some different applications for them. You will find many of the same kicks, but just less emphasis on them, and perhaps not throwing them as high as in TKD.
I did notice that there weren't a lot of kicks, but I knew the ones that we did (front kick, side kick, etc.) And yes, the hand techniques threw me off. We do some in TKD, especially since we teach an aikido-based self-defense as well, but the movements were very foreign to me.

Thanks for your comments! Any others are welcome!

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

TKD will cover all the kicking in karate even though i didnt do kempo as far as i know basic kicking techniques are very similar so you should be fine here im interested to know do you mean the hand movements when you say foreign?

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

TKD will cover all the kicking in karate even though i didnt do kempo as far as i know basic kicking techniques are very similar so you should be fine here...

I wouldn't bet on that. I've never taken a TKD class, but have watched dozens and dozens of their classes (I have friends that teach TKD) and about the only similarity between TKD kicks and (some) karate kicks, is the foot leaves the floor and moves towards an opponent.