• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RBSD

Mostly the material that I can see without using my credit card, and traveling to interview them is a bit expensive as well at the moment. Richard Dimitri does seem to know well what he is doing, but do a quick youtube search on self defense classes/ RBSD and there's nothing that makes it what it is many times built up to be.

Check out some of the following on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/clivegirdham

Sammy Franco seems to love eye gouges for instance. Are they are great tool? Most definitely, but outside of people such as himself how many people after paying whatever amount they pay for the seminar are really going to be able to pull everything off when the heat is on? Especially if they are not used to having somebody coming at them.

How many people who spend 1 night a week training at the local karate club are going to be able to pull everything off when the heat is on? The difference is in the training methods, look at the above clips and ask yourself why it doesnt look like the average martial arts class. The tactics are trained with people attacking you with real intent and energy.

The bigger point then should be not what to do during the fight, but before it...namely it not happening at all. See a bunch of youths on the street late at night? Don't be a 'tough guy'- cross to the other side. Also don't mouth off to strangers, be polite, take a joke, stay in well lit areas, swallow your pride, and if a situation doesn't feel right get out of it (especially to a public place)! If you are a woman, carry mace- and never forfeit your life over some money. I have personally had a death threat against my life before- and I have once been in a situation where I sensed that someone was there to harm me. In the latter (before I did much in the sense of martial arts) I put the car keys between my knuckles and walked quickly to my car where I promptly locked it and drove away. All of that came from the basic RBSD lesson that I got as a kid that I didn't need a VISA for (I use mastercard anyways)- don't go off with strangers. Of course it evolved and adapted from that point, but the fact of the matter is that common sense is your best friend (and not being hotheaded).

Situational awareness is one of the biggest points stressed in good rbsd courses, the roleplaying you say you cant take seriously is a big part of it. Place yourself in these situations in training then you know how you will react and if your common sense actually does prevail or if you need more work.

But once you get to the point where the situation is out of control (or the other person is out of control), knowing how to fight is key.

The real key is to have seen whats happening right in front of you in training before. Having actually trained against(not just talked about) the initial emotional attack that is oh so common in situations and then attempting to defuse, if that fails then going physical.

Let me ask you something. Whats better?

Having a guy start pumping you with a knife in real life and you have:

a) dealt with the same style of attack in training against a resisting partner(see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTKuK8AgFfY)

or

b) spent your time learning to throw the perfect 1-2, shoot for double legs and pull armbars?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay- free videos is something I can afford! I will admit Cross, you are ever so slowly changing my mind...I do love some full resistance knife disarming . :D And no, I don't think that many karateka or any other martial artist for that matter would do well under heat- the point was that for most people RBSD training won't give too much of an advantage either unless they are really into it (and at which that point they are the exception to the rule anyways). The stereotypical SD class talks of groin kicks and eye gouges with maybe going against somebody in a full body pad suit (while being told to stay in well lit areas)...not that they are perhaps even the rule, but that is the stereotype. And in the latter situation I did apply some of what I would call 'self defense tactics;. Namely when someone called me over to the back of a parking lot and I asked what they wanted and they wouldn't tell me but told me to 'come over'. When I asked what they wanted but they asked me again to come, refusing to answer, I started heading in a different direction. But when I did they started swearing and moving forward so I walked fairly quickly back towards the entrance by the windows with maximum visibility in case something should happen and took out my keys in a loose position so that if I made a fist it would have the end of the key sticking out of it in a iron kunckle esque fashion. I then unlocked and locked the car as fast as I could (I couldn't do much anyways if he had a gun as far as getting away, but a knife would be hard to use if I was in a car), and drove off. Was it a bit intense? Yeah I won't lie, it was intimidating- but in the end I kept my wits about me and avoided having a confrontation whether it was a real threat or not. And also, in many of those videos fighting skill would DEFINITELY have come in handy. No, of course arm bars and getting someone into your guard would be stupid, but knowing how to kick, punch, jab, and do stand up grappling/ throws would have helped in many of those situations.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

In the videos, it didn't look like that there was a lot of striking going on. With the head gear on, I would think that they would try to strike more. I also saw opportunities where some knee strikes could have been used, but weren't. Is this just a result of the lack of protective equipment?

In the videos, it didn't look like that there was a lot of striking going on. With the head gear on, I would think that they would try to strike more. I also saw opportunities where some knee strikes could have been used, but weren't. Is this just a result of the lack of protective equipment?

Most of those videos are drills to develop specific skills, they are not full out sparring. Also keep in mind that unless you are actually feeling the pressure being put on your and the energy the opponent is giving its hard to say weather you could actually throw a knee or not from those positions.

the point was that for most people RBSD training won't give too much of an advantage either unless they are really into it (and at which that point they are the exception to the rule anyways). The stereotypical SD class talks of groin kicks and eye gouges with maybe going against somebody in a full body pad suit (while being told to stay in well lit areas)...not that they are perhaps even the rule, but that is the stereotype.

What schools are you talking about specifically?

Most of those videos are drills to develop specific skills, they are not full out sparring. Also keep in mind that unless you are actually feeling the pressure being put on your and the energy the opponent is giving its hard to say weather you could actually throw a knee or not from those positions.

Ah, that makes some sense, then. At some point, however, you would start putting some of those things together, right?

Ah, that makes some sense, then. At some point, however, you would start putting some of those things together, right?

Certainly. One of the great things about this kind of training is the progression of the drills. Take for example a knife defense drill that is common with alot of rbsd groups:(on person has a weapon concealed somewhere on their body)

stage 1. armed person attacks with a common knife strike. Defender simply stands, observes and picks up on any indication that the weapon is about to be drawn, also becomes familiar with the body mechanics required by the attacker to make the strike including trajectory, angle of attack etc.

stage 2. attacker does same, defender responds with appropriate defense and aims to secure the knife hand asap.

stage 3. The attacker is most likely to respond in 1 of 4 ways when the knife hand is secured:

1. Pull the knife hand away(to break the grip)

2. Still try to stick the knife in you

3. Strike with his free hand/feet/elbows etc.

4. Switch the knife to his other hand.

Each one of these responses is worked individually. I.e. To work response 1, the attacker strikes, defender secures weapon hand, attacker attempts to pull the knife hand away, defender attempts to prevent the knife hand being pulled free and prevent getting cut.

stage 4. Same has above except the responses are random.

stage 5. Same has above except now the defender can physically retaliate with appropriate attacking techniques and attempt to access the primary targets (eyes and throat).

stage 6. attacker changes location of weapon and strike type, the process is repeated.

So has you can see from a pretty simple drill, you can break it down into lots of stages and sub-stages from there. You dont start at the "full out, anything goes" part, but you work your way upto it in layers so this becomes the end result. Has you see with each level of the drill comes an increase in complexity, variables, and skills required.

Also you notice not every stage of the drill requires attacks to be performed both parties.

In addition to this, keep in mind that the good rbsd schools have a strong base in mma style training and fitness and conditioning also. This is a far cry from the "eye gouge, groin kick, camo pants" guys some people think of when they think self defense.

The mma style training has a different focus than competition based schools and each "style" is trained to develop self defense applicable skills in specific ranges. I.e.

From kickboxing you develop: Stance, pain management, how to take a punch, footwork, solid defensive skills, angles of attack etc.

From BJJ+wrestling you develop: Control, positioning, comfort on the ground, greater chance of getting back to your feet, submission and compliance techniques etc.

I think that RBSD training, especially as Cross has presented it, is great training. Perhaps my experiences are rare, but of the 4 schools I've trained in, all of them did this and none were called RBSD schools. One was a Kung Fu School, two were shotokan schools, and the one I'm at now is a BJJ school.

There's a huge problem with this training, however. It's intense. This is what makes it both effective and not for everyone. It's fair to say that not everyone who enters a martial arts school is interested in this type of training. Many want to THINK they can fight and defend themselves without ever REALLY doing it.

Because of this, the type of training on cross' videos is usually only done by a small percentage of those who train. That said, especially here in the states, that type of training, while effective, is not very marketable and gains only a few students. I actually get together with a few guys from other schools to do it.

For those who ask what good BJJ is, look at the knife drills. At one point the shirtless guy uses a crucifix neck crank. When they are mounted with a knife, knowing a modified elbow escape would get him out of they guys legs (with positive control of the knife). Too many people watch MMA or tournaments and think that it's what BJJ is about. The fact is that BJJ was developed for the streets of Rio (which are still extremely dangerous). Dealing with knives was an everyday thing. I actually get annoyed when I see a BJJ school focus on nothing but sport applications.

To answer an earlier question, for an attacker attempting to stab you (standing) an armbar wouldn't be so great. But a kimura or keylock are wonderful.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

In addition to this, keep in mind that the good rbsd schools have a strong base in mma style training and fitness and conditioning also. This is a far cry from the "eye gouge, groin kick, camo pants" guys some people think of when they think self defense.

The mma style training has a different focus than competition based schools and each "style" is trained to develop self defense applicable skills in specific ranges. I.e.

From kickboxing you develop: Stance, pain management, how to take a punch, footwork, solid defensive skills, angles of attack etc.

From BJJ+wrestling you develop: Control, positioning, comfort on the ground, greater chance of getting back to your feet, submission and compliance techniques etc.

Great points.