• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tiger,

Its great to see that you can use the copy and paste commands on your PC.

However how dare you try to sum up Aikido in one paragraph. It is the way of Harmony, very true, but I lion killing a gazel is in "harmony" with nature. This is what I felt that O Sensei ment. Yes Aikido does try very hard to avoid hurting an opponent, but all the techniques can be used to deadly effect. Perhaps you should go to an Aikido dojo and ask for a "sankyo", then come back to this chat, and tell me that it did not hurt and that you did nto think your wrist and shoulder were not going to pop out!

As a Aikidoka I can vouch that is REALLY hurts. Thats not to say that other martial art technqiues dont work.

Tiger we were debating about the fact that you thought that soft techniques just let you fall harmlessly to the floor, and that a "soft block" whatever the hell that is redirects your energy harmlessly into thte atmosphere or something.

Tobias_Reece you are very right. Its nice to see that some one in here is reading tigers posts, and understanding the fact that in 90% of them they dont make any sence from the one he posted 5 minutes before.

Be Well

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING

Hee hee, Tobias' posts make someone happy. Hee hee...victory.....hee hee.......victory.

Anyway, back to the real world - Kensai, what exactly is "sankyo"?

Using my superior terminology (once again my sarcasm come into play) san means 3 - maybe a three point stretch.

However, this could be another one of those faux-amis, where "san" has nothing to do with three.

ANyway, help me out here - I'm drowing!!!

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

lol

yes i studied judo (best grapplers in the world) BJJ and jj.

UFC 1 was only worthwhile because of the entertainment value. what did who won it have to do with anything.

I have lived under no "martial arts rock"

Grappling is just useless.

By the way, to no one inparticular (Kensai) isn't your direct oppisition to everything our young friend says, not quite "flowing" in a Aiki sense of the word?

Kensai your what? 35?

:lol:

My direct opposition is really only for fun. Even if he was right, I would probably argue against it.

A Sankyo is a wrist lock take down then a very violent immobilisation.

35!!! I am 19! I have no idea what gave you that impression.

As for Aiki, it still flows, but I am making the flow a little rougher than normal.

Be Well :dodgy:

I'm actually going to attend some Aikodo lessons during the holidays.

So what exactually do you mean by 90% of my posts dont make scence. Which ones exactually?

Oh and you seem to be the master of copy and paste. I thought I might give it a go. lol

Anyway I cant really see how I am wrong in any of my posts, soft blocks? Yes there is such a thing maybe not referd to as a soft block. Open palm blocks is a good example of a soft block, is this also garbage.

A hard style is to devastate the oppenant and to inflict enough damage on the oppenant so he can no longer attack you.

Is this garbage?

Soft style where you try to be in harmony with the attacker and to try to neutralize the attacker with at the same time without trying to inflict damage on the attacker. Sure Aikido has nutralixing techniques that do 'hurt' the oppenant but as far as I know the main principle is to try to nuetralize the oppenant wothout trying to inflict damage.

By the way is this also garbage?

OK this is the basis of this debate.

I made a pretty stupid and ignorant post when I started up at this forum. Someone decided to bring it up again. Kensai makes some kind of threat as a kind of joke saying that grappling is not a waste of time. I come in and say I am not scared, and say that grappling is not a waste of time, and that I prefer to aggresively of and if everyone doesn't really know what an aggresive martial art is a good example is shotokan. You'lfind this out at http://www.24fightingchickens.com

Then people say what is an aggresive martial art? I give examples, one of them is wing chun and from veiwing link after link of this ,artial art which toi me looked aggrswive I decided to put that in.

Then Kensai sais it is not aggresive, I say from what I saw it looks aggrtesive. You say you cant make an assumption on a few videos, true you probobly cant but how was I to know?

Then people go into mixing up aggresiveness with hard, I changed the subject to hard as a means of trying to expalin Wing Chun from the way I saw it.

So pretty much this whole big argument is based on Wing Chun. I have found out about Wing Chun and it is a combination of both soft and hard styles. Remember from what I have seen it only appeared as a very aggresive martial art with only using hard techniques against the oppenant. I can now say that you have corrected me. But I hope you can see my point of the argument with the fact of my self veiwing countless videos on Wing Chun it appeared very aggresive.

But not being the gullable push over I was I didn't really want to accept anything and decided to back up all my posts.

Through looking at all the posts I have made, the only one that isn't really correct is the Wing Chun bit. Everything else I stand by.

Ok, so far this thread has given me a headache every time I look at it, but here I will try to say what I think as far as "aggressive" arts. I don't believe this word can be used to describe a total art. This is my opinion because I think of aggressiveness as more of a fighter's strategy than the strategy of every practitioner of an art. This is the opinion I have accumulated by studying both a striking art, tae kwon do, and a ground art, brazilian jiu-jitsu.

In tae kwon do sparring, there are aggressive and non-aggressive fighters. Some fightres come out kicking and punching right away. Others see fit to block and counter or use superior footwork to evade and counter. One art, two different mentalities.

In BJJ sparring, some fighters will go straight for the takedown, others prefer to simply defensively drag their opponents into their guard. Some are always going full out for the submissions (think Rickson Gracie), others sit it out and try to win on points. Do you see my point?

As far as grappling being useless, one cannot just come out and say that. ZakariRu, would you like to back up your statement? I find that comment rather baseless and would like elaboration.

As a teenage girl, 5'6, 125 pounds, I am a prime target for rape. However, through grappling I have developed a sound guard and I know that with more training I can become confident in resisting attackers.

:kiss:

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

On 2002-07-22 05:30, Kensai wrote:

:lol:

My direct opposition is really only for fun. Even if he was right, I would probably argue against it.

A Sankyo is a wrist lock take down then a very violent immobilisation.

35!!! I am 19! I have no idea what gave you that impression.

As for Aiki, it still flows, but I am making the flow a little rougher than normal.

Be Well :dodgy:

hehehe 19? wow! all the martial arts know-it-alls ive ever met have either been 12 or over 30 :wink:

bases for grappling being useless.

Im right! thats the end of it!

[ This Message was edited by: ZakariRu on 2002-07-22 14:57 ]