• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2002-07-21 03:15, ZakariRu wrote:

oh did i mention Grappling is useless? (only in self defense)

have you ever trained in grappling? If so, what art? Because you have definitely been living under a martial arts rock.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

You go threesixtyroundhouse. Good to see someone shares my opinion.

And also, to whoever made the claim that nhb's are worthless except for the first ufc. Go back and remember who actually won UFC 1. I believe it was a grappler by the name of ROYCE GRACIE.

I also think that kickboxing is important also. I have a black belt in muay thai as well as in jiu-jitsu. I wouldn't trade the knowledge that i have obtained from either for anything.

I don't believe this style is better than that style or that a certain style is worthless. All styles have a place in someone's arsenal.

Do you know what the ultimate style is, THERE IS ONE. It is MMA. Or mixed martial arts. You have to be proficent in all arts to be a well rounded fighter and also a well rounded person. Having a little humility can get you far in life. To those that say grappling is useless. Jump in the ring with a proficent grappling practitioner. See how long it takes he or she to make you beg for them to release their technique.

thanks to all

Soft arts are not arts where you try not to hurt your opponent. It's just that soft arts focus a lot on chi, and focuses a lot on the spiritual aspect from what i know. I think in aikido you try to do as little damage as possible though.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Aikido is a soft Martial Art.

"Aikido is a method of self defense whose goal is to neutralize an attacker without causing the attacker any serious injury if at all possible. One of its most basic principles is to blend with an aggressor's energy and redirect it in a manner to subdue the attacker. Thus, in a sense, the aggressor is defeated by himself! Using this principle; therefore, it is possible for a small person to topple even the greatest of opponents. The name "Aikido" is comprised of the three words: (Ai), harmony; (Ki) spirit or energy; and (Do) the method or the "way"."

For some strange reason I've avoided looking at this thread, but today I actually decided to view it. And what did I think? Well, need I say anything?

I'm not going to pick out all the errors in EOTT posts, but just one.

I noticed that you mentioned something about soft arts, saying that soft arts are there to defeat the enemy without hurting them.

That theory may be true, but don't let it mislead you. I'm sure that Kensai would happily demonstrate a simple (and here comes my extremely limited Aikido knowledge..) Kote-gaeshi on you, and it being a soft art, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt you - instead just stopping you from attacking.

Now to say that last sentence I drew on my fantastic skills of sarcasm, of which I'm actually quite proud of. Believe me, Kote-gaeshi does hurt.

I bet you also believe that Aikido techniques just throw you onto the floor. If only if it was that simple. You need to know how to fall for that. To someone who doesn't know how to fall a simple thing happens - your wrist goes SNAP.

Obviously the wrist breaking is harmless and doesn't hurt you at all. (once again drawing onto my powerful sarcasm skills).

I'll just like to verify that I don't actually know much about Aikido, but I do listen to a few ppl, so I think I know something.

Anyway, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Yeah, aikido is a soft art, but not all soft arts are meant to do as little damage to your opponent. And like Tobias said, if you don't know how to fall from a throw, it can do a lot of damage to you.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.