• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling is a waste of time. There are three fight zones.

Punching, kicking and grappling. You could quite easily avoid or counter a grappling fighter and even if they did get you into a hold of somesort you could easily get a punch in and karate teaches you some basic grappling anyway. So whats all the fuss about? There are so many ways to prevent yourself from getting grappled. Karate kicks ass.

:karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that same mindset for years till I actually sparred a guy who had cross trained in kickboxing and BJJ. If you don't know what to do on the ground you are in deep trouble. Espically when you run across a person that does. They can choke, crank, break, or do about anthing they want to do to you.

Again I had that same mindset I felt my power could keep anyone off me long enough for me to not worry about going down. However you can't take that power shot on a BJJ person because once you do they trap the arm or leg and then its just a matter of time.

I think grappeling alone is not very good but when you mix it with a great stand up art like kickboxing or even a traditional karate you run across some bad guys.

If you keep a closed mind about it you will be shcoked as I was one day.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-06-02 15:07 ]

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Brazillian Jiu Jutsu... and with that mindset I'd give you ten seconds to run or get yourself a limb broken against one of their decent practicioners. :wink:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

mkay, I know this should be in the grappling section but is BJJ pretty much the same as Judo or are they different??

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Judo is a sport BJJ is more or less a combat art. Judo works more n throws and tosses. BJJ is a lot of joint locks and chokes. There is a huge differance in the two but Im not qualified enough to go into the exact differance.

EOTT, you are seriously deluding yourself if you think grappling is a waste of time. If you only know striking arts, you won't have a clue wht to do on the ground, which is where a lot of fights end up. I'm not saying grappling is the ultimate discipline, just that you should know some to be a competent fighter or at the very least enough to avoid being taken down.

Re. Judo - judo is a sport AND a combat martial art. Just depends on how you train it. Many of the throws would be absolutely devastating on concrete and can be worked from the clich which is where fights often end up. Moreover, judo also has the chokes and joint locks that BJJ has. The difference generally is that judo focuses more on throws while BJJ focusses much more on grappling on the ground.

[ This Message was edited by: Sinbad on 2002-06-03 13:37 ]

If you consider yourself a Martial Artist then your view of grappiling is way off. No martial art is complete without grappling. If you think you can defend from a decent shot without ever doing so than you are diluding yourself into a false sence of security. No one art is perfect, none. Some are a bit more well rounded but none are perfect.

Semper Fi

How can you say something like "grappling is useless"... the wise respect all techniques, lest they be used against you one day.

The best thing is to combine grappling and striking to some degree. Even as a striker, grappling can be useful to trap and control an opponent. You'll find it a lot easier to punch someone in the face if you have them in a headlock with your other arm!

Next time someone tries a round house kick in sparring, try stepping in and grabbing the leg. You now have him at a severe disadvantage - in a real fight it would be nearly impossible for your opponent to avoid being tripped/thrown/knocked down, or just held in an awkward position while you pummel them.

Another one is to grab and pull your opponents arm hard towards you... this makes it nearly impossible to throw a good punch with either arm.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic. Ithink a good combo is traditional Karate and traditional jj.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.