• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tobi sokuto geri

Fish

I'm having trouble with this kick, which I need to learn for my next grading. I'm finding it hard to jump high enough to perform the sokuto kick before I hit the ground again. I'm worse starting from right stance than from left.

Any tips as to how to perform this kick correctly?

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A sokuto is a kick that refers to the position of foot as it strikes. Its the outside edge of the foot with big toe up and little toes down.

I think that the Technique being described by Fish may be Yoko Tobi Geri or jumping side kick.

A bit like the ones at the start of this clip.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

Ah, thanks for that. That is actually a good clip, and the slow down segments show a pretty good breakdown of the technique. Using the leg to jump and build momentum for the kicking leg is very important. Also, as you need to think of jumping up and bursting, as opposed to jumping a long distance.

I actually have to do this technique for my next testing, but I have to jump over 3 people. Lots of practice helps out.

Never ever heard it called that before i would like to know what the translation of that is as i think he may be talking about a different kick. Bushido man is correct you do not want to just jump up and kick you need to be moving forward otherwise this kick is useless which i think it is anyway but that is my personal opinion executed correctly im sure it probably could be fairly powerful just a bit too flashy for me. I have tried this and if you dont have any forward momentum as i am quiet light you will just bounce off the person with the pad so get some momentum into it.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

In our club it's called tobi sokuto, but I think it is the same as yoko tobi geri - jumping side kick.

Thanks for the advice.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)