• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan vs. Kyukoshin

Jermz

Why do I hear a lot of buzz on Kyukoshin form of karate oppose to Shotokan? Which one is more useful with striking?

And by the way I am new here sorry if there has been a topic on this before, I just want to get opinions about it. Because I am looking to take one striking form of Karate and one grappling art. Thanks for the opinions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First, welcome to the forums.

IMO, and as a shotokan 3rd dan, I believe Kyokushin is going to give you a better feel for a self defense situation. This is because they do knockdown tournaments. The intensity is very high and a direct correlation exists between the level of intensity an art is practiced and the art's effectiveness on the street.

That said, I believe shotokan to be a more complete art. While Kyokushin practitioners practice kata, it is not as important to them (admittedly I've only met 6 practitioners all of whom voiced this to me. ) Shotokan spends alot of time on kata.

The techniques utilized in the arts are virtually identical. The only thing I don't like about knockdown karate tourneys is they, usually, do not allow punches to the head.

In the end...if you're looking strictly for an art that will protect you on the street, Kyokushin is probably better (maybe add some boxing lessons too). If you're looking for a very complete art or don't want to get as many bumps and bruises, Shotokan is the way to go.

I'd also like to add that I'm not bashing Shotokan, I love the art. I just don't think that, from a fighting standpoint, the average practitioner is going to be as skilled as an average Kyokushin practitioner.

Hope this helps.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for the welcome.

Alright thanks for your input. I think I have a better understand of the difference between the two. The practicality of Kyukoshin is more than that of Shotokan, granted that I take a few boxing classes which wouldn't matter to me since it helps me. I hope I could find a good Kyukoshin dojo.

In my opinion, no style is superior to another style. It is the skill of the practioner that is superior not the style, thats why I chose to do GoJu Ryu or otherwise i would of done Mizongyi Kung Fu the sytyle of Huo YuanJia

As stated in replies to your post, I would say that between shotokan and Kyokushin although they are very similar in context (Oyamas O Sensei studied Shotokan as well as Goju Ryu plus some Korean forms to create Kyokushin).

It is entirely upto yourself what it is you want out of Karate.

If I was looking at a 'Street Style' of Karate I would look more into Ashihara Karate or Enshin Karate (both offshots of Kyokushin via Ashihara O Sensei). and concurently study Shotokan or Wado Ryu for the tradition aspects of Karate.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 4 months later...
Why do I hear a lot of buzz on Kyukoshin form of karate oppose to Shotokan? Which one is more useful with striking?

And by the way I am new here sorry if there has been a topic on this before, I just want to get opinions about it. Because I am looking to take one striking form of Karate and one grappling art. Thanks for the opinions.

It is very simple, just use what is useful to you that is the only way you will get everything you want. i am a 4th dan in shotokan , but also am a strong believer in taking all information from many sources , so i took some of the stances from shotokan. But as for striking shotokan isn't the greatest the greatest choice , therefore you should research untill you find the correct fighting style for you.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

In my opinion, no style is superior to another style. It is the skill of the practioner that is superior not the style, thats why I chose to do GoJu Ryu or otherwise i would of done Mizongyi Kung Fu the sytyle of Huo YuanJia

you are correct when you say no style is better, but only 50% of the fighter comes into play. It is the other 50% that comes from the style its self and the more you know the better , never limit your self to one style.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.