• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From Shotokan to Wado Ryu?

dragonwarrior_keltyr

What's also interesting about the creation of Wado from a historical perspective is that although he went there learning how to strike, he left for primarily the same reason he went... At that time, Gichin's son Gigo was having more input into the Shotokan Syllabus.

While Gichin concentrated on the development of the spiritual side of the art, Gigo made his modifications to the techniques. These included the introduction of various Kumite, lowering of the stances and increased use of the Makiwara.

Ohtsuka didn't care much for Gigo's modifications and felt they were too far fetched from his JuJistu up-bringing. He felt they were too "opposing". In addition to this, there was a power play between the two for "top student" in the school.

As a result, Ohtsuka broke away and called his style "Harmonious" so as to illustrate what he felt his style had over Shotokan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What's also interesting about the creation of Wado from a historical perspective is that although he went there learning how to strike, he left for primarily the same reason he went... At that time, Gichin's son Gigo was having more input into the Shotokan Syllabus.

While Gichin concentrated on the development of the spiritual side of the art, Gigo made his modifications to the techniques. These included the introduction of various Kumite, lowering of the stances and increased use of the Makiwara.

Ohtsuka didn't care much for Gigo's modifications and felt they were too far fetched from his JuJistu up-bringing. He felt they were too "opposing". In addition to this, there was a power play between the two for "top student" in the school.

As a result, Ohtsuka broke away and called his style "Harmonious" so as to illustrate what he felt his style had over Shotokan.

Aaaaah, politics! You have to love the MA aspect of it!

My Friend

If Wado Ryu will become you Way then you're going to have to stick to it. I have myself studied many styles, until I found well 2 styles that suit me.

Shotokan and Tang Soo Do (Korean Karate) are virtually Identical including the performa of the 'Japanese' Kata and Basics.

Although Wado Ryu tends to emphasis into the 'Sabaki' motion of the techniques, as already stated, it is rather similar to Shotokan. The kihons and one steps etc are where the differences lie from what I have seen so far. This is where Wado Ryu takes its Jujitsu Roots and presents it to its students.

If you keep switching especially between 2 similar styles you'll never achieve your personal goal, stick to one Way until atleast Shodan, then if you wish cross train with another, then do so.

I hope this helps

Osu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 2 weeks later...

If what you're looking at is Shintani Wado Kai, I highly recommend giving it a try. Two of the other black belts I work with (a yodan and sandan) both graded to shodan in shotokan before getting into wado, and love the style (one is on the Canadian Shintani Wado team).

There is a learning curve, in which you may find it heard for yourself to modify the basic techniques you've started with, but in the end, I think, it will help you become a better karateka.

check out https://www.shintani.ca for more info - there's even a quarterly online newsletter/journal highlighting different stuff going on in the organization.

in harmony

TL