• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From Shotokan to Wado Ryu?

dragonwarrior_keltyr

I just started University and the only club on campus is a wado club. It's a lot cheeper than any other would be and I can't find a Shotokan club anywhere. Anyways, the club's been recomended by a friend of mine, therefore it has credentials. My concern is the adaptability of Shotokan to Wado. I just got my purple belt before the summer and I don't want to begin a completely new style just yet. Does anyone know what the similarities or differences are?

I'm going to try one class next week by the way, I just wanted to know in advance.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi. I practise Wado Ryu. I think the two styles are quite similar as Wado Ryu developed out of Shotokan. I think the Heian/ Pinan Kata are basically the same. I hear stances are lower in Shotokan than Wado, and there are some techniques in Wado that don't feature in Shotokan, but I would think you could adapt.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Hi dragonwarrior_keltyr

Fish is correct to point out that there is a link between Wado and Shotokan, however this is often over simplified. The Wado-ka would suggest that it is probably more accurately described as a blend of Shindo Yoshin Ryu Ju-jutsu and "Shorin-Ryu" karate (out of which Shotokan was born). The link is Funakoshi Sensei, with whom Ohstuka Sensei (the founder of Wado) trained with, amongst others, to learn Karate and to introduce it into his ju-Jutsu system which later developed into Wado.

The Basics and Kata are similar in appearance, although there are some fundamental differences in how they are performed and the principles inherent to them.

You will probably find that the movement in Wado is more relaxed and "fluid" as opposed to the deep rigid stances of today’s modern shotokan.

This will probably be the biggest obsticle for you to overcome and may go against your shotokan grain.

I hope you enjoy it though as I think it’s the best Karate there is.

Edited by Zanshin

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

You shouldnt find it too hard i dont think as far as i know there are slight differences in certain moves in the more advanced kata and the names are different also the stances are alot higher and relaxed which means less power but more movement

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Entering university was the start of a great time and adventure for me. I got to train so much it was great. I got a really bad mark mind and it messed up my head and starting work by a few years, so without sound like a moaning parent please do not make the same mistake as I did and neglect your studies.

Anyway, you have 3 years at university I assume. You could decide to give it a try and if you like it start grading. You might get assessed and may not need to start at the bottom.

The main friends I met at the club are now my friends for life.

I was lucky as I chose my university based on the fact that the city had a few clubs belonging to the association I was with.

Nevertheless, at each lesson I tried my best to perform the basics and kata like everybody else.

A few people left a Shotokan club in our area and joined ours (Wado). They came in as low belts but within a very short space of time, having been assessed, they got back their original grades.

No-one said the transition was a any problem and being purple you must have some clue what you're doing so do it!

Good luck with the Uni.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

There are two things which I find fascinating about the beginnings of Wado Ryu from historic/stylstic perspective. First, Ohtsuka did not begin training with Funakoshi until he was almost 30 years old, which complicated or at least gave the appearance of complicating his adjustment from a grappling art to a striking art. History bears out that he did just fine inspite of the age barrier. Second, he learned from Funakoshi because he wanted to learn how to hit. He felt that the atemi he was taught from his jiu-jutsu training was too weak, and he wanted a way to finish his opponent. Absolutely fascinating.

I hope anyone who does Wado gets a chance to see the ~1965 video of him doing kata. I think it's a Tsunami Productions video.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

There are two things which I find fascinating about the beginnings of Wado Ryu from historic/stylstic perspective. First, Ohtsuka did not begin training with Funakoshi until he was almost 30 years old, which complicated or at least gave the appearance of complicating his adjustment from a grappling art to a striking art. History bears out that he did just fine inspite of the age barrier. Second, he learned from Funakoshi because he wanted to learn how to hit. He felt that the atemi he was taught from his jiu-jutsu training was too weak, and he wanted a way to finish his opponent. Absolutely fascinating.

I hope anyone who does Wado gets a chance to see the ~1965 video of him doing kata. I think it's a Tsunami Productions video.

Yes. One account I have heard is that Ohtsuka sensei viewed karate as way to give his Aiki Jujutsu "Teeth".

That said I am sure that learning to strike efficiently was not the only thing that he took from Okinawan Shuri-te, as the Katas in Wado do play a vital part in teaching students like me how to move correctly.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

dragonwarrior_keltyr: i started college a few weeks ago too and they have a shotokon club here. lol, i'm not to sure about joining since i'm almost a black belt in shito-ryu and kendo starts around the same time as the shotokon. anyways if you like the club, then continue to train in it, but i can't say the same for me....

<3