• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I saw this clip while looking at one that Cross posted. I thought it showed some good boxing concepts; hands up, move your feet, good solid straight punches. He even did a good job of keeping everyone in line, and not facing too many at a time.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDlzL7zrNU&mode=related&search=

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That almost looked choreographed with the guys pretty much attacking in turns (and the one guy who went flying!). Do reall attacks usually happen that way or was it the constant movement in a limited space that allowed him to take on one at a time?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think it had to do with the space he had, and the fact that the others could catch up to him to surround him. He did a good job of creating space, and keeping them in a line, so only one could attack at a time. Good punches maximized his striking efficiency, too.

You could see at first he got away from the big crowd, then he had to take on two at the same time, while another was trying to get around them and at him. He controlled his optimum range excellently (punching range). One guy even tried to get into grappling range, but he threw him to the ground. Another was throwing kicks, but he closed the distance and hurt the guy bad. Looks like that guy took the worst of it.

You can tell he is a good boxer by the way he would plant his feet right as he punched. Most boxers don't even know how to do that when they are moving backwards.

I like the way even when he wasn't throwing punches he was confusing them with his hands.

Against trained fighters it would have been a lot harder for him of course, but Most trained fighters use their skill for self defense only (the dignity of a true warrior), Or at least I like to believe.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

• 8 months later...

My Dad used to tell me that regular western boxing could be very effective against contemporary martial arts. Eastern boxing makes use of both the hands and the feet in various ways but the boxing that has developed in the West is hardly inferior. Gymnasiums that teach boxing skills usually have really good physical training to supplement the fighting skills they teach. Sometimes I think regular western boxing is overlooked in the martial arts world as a viable alternative because it seems so commonplace and it lacks exotic appeal. If boxing had spinning hook kicks to the head, it would look more cool that just blasting the other guy in the face with the hands. The thing is, those spinning kicks are hard to master compared to basic hand fighting skills. -JL.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo