• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am thinking about taking a martial art and my university offers Muay Thai, Aikido and Tai Chi (not really a MA I guess). I would love to take all three but I don't even know if my body could stand one. You see I am pretty damn out of shape. I am 6 feet tall and weight 190lbs and both my strength and stamina are sub par. I haven't been truly (sports and such) physically active in years. This summer I started going to the gym, and while better, I am still not in great shape. I got a bit of a gut and be barely do 10 push ups (embarrassing I know). Though, my strength has always been in my legs from hockey and soccer as a child.

So my question is, given my background, what would you recommend I do. I care mostly about improving my fitness and disciple over things like competitions and fighting. My choice would be Muay Thai or Aikido while also taking Tai Chi. Or, should I not bother and just train more at the gym until I am more fit and try again next year?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, Descartes, and welcome to the Forums! :karate:

If your main goal is improving your physical fitness, then I think that Muay Thai would suit your needs the best of the styles that are available to you. They will focus a lot on techniques/physical movement and repetitions, and the sparring is done in rounds, which is great for fitness improvement. As a side effect, you will probably pick some notes on fighting in competitions, and may find you will want to do that down the road.

I imagine that the Thai training would be pretty demanding on your body at first, so taking on an additional style may overwhelm you for a time. However, if you feel that you have the energy, and more importantly, the time, to contribute to another style, then go for it.

Best of luck, and enjoy the journey! :karate:

I would say the choice would stem from what you want to get out of it. A good Tai Chi class is going to improve your ballance, co-ordination and strength, but it's not going to give you the aerobic exercise you might be after. A good Tai Chi instructor can show you the martial aspects of the art as well. Tai Chi and Aikido should augment each other fairly well as they're both internal soft styles.

If you're after self-defense and body conditioning right out of the box, I'd probably go for Muay Thai. If you're looking for something that's not too hard on your body, I'd recommend Tai Chi.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 4 months later...
I am thinking about taking a martial art and my university offers Muay Thai, Aikido and Tai Chi (not really a MA I guess). I would love to take all three but I don't even know if my body could stand one. You see I am pretty damn out of shape. I am 6 feet tall and weight 190lbs and both my strength and stamina are sub par. I haven't been truly (sports and such) physically active in years. This summer I started going to the gym, and while better, I am still not in great shape. I got a bit of a gut and be barely do 10 push ups (embarrassing I know). Though, my strength has always been in my legs from hockey and soccer as a child.

So my question is, given my background, what would you recommend I do. I care mostly about improving my fitness and disciple over things like competitions and fighting. My choice would be Muay Thai or Aikido while also taking Tai Chi. Or, should I not bother and just train more at the gym until I am more fit and try again next year?

I think that you should start off with the Muay Thai , that would get you into shape in no time. Then after you have doen say 6-8 months of that and your body is more leaner, you should go and take the other 2 clases. As Tai Chi is not much of a MA it is still vital to keepin clear mind.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 3 months later...

I'd recommend Muay Thai. It's one of the best workouts that I have ever done.

The important thing to remember in any sort of new training (especially if you're not very fit to begin with) is to stick with it. I reckon for the first few weeks you'll feel really sore and drained after training but after your body starts to get conditioned to it you won't be able to stop going.

muay thai, not only will it get you in shape but of the three is most useful in a confrontation. i dont know a single person that wants a thai boxer to knee them in the head and keep attacking

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I have taken all through at various points through time and if it's getting into shape and learning to fight are what you're looking for then MT is the best bet.

Oddly enough though, the other two help in other ways as way. Aikido helped me respond better to attacks, primarily by learning to get out of the way and move my feet. Tai Chi helped in overall body flexibility and moving parts of my body I didn't even know I had. I found the two really rounded things out with me.

You're about my dimensions, only three inches taller, and I do fine in martial arts. You'd be great. Try them all out for a few weeks and go with the one that teaches the best.