Unwanted sempai role

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do not want to teach, then do not teach. It really is as simple as that!

If your instructor wants you to teach, and you are in agreement, then you should be taught how to teach before you are put in front of a class!

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2006/10/13/assistant-instructors/

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Is it? What if the sensei has an broader agenda with this..making an statement and maybe "smoking out" some negative behavior that exist in the class? That might lead to a greater good for all of us. But if that is so, he has to back me up in the process.

I am familiar with the work of Rob Redmond, and I agree with a lot of what he is saying. But being taught to teach is an ideal, not within reach for all of us.

Is it? What if the sensei has an broader agenda with this..making an statement and maybe "smoking out" some negative behavior that exist in the class?
Well in that hypothetical situation I personally think that his behaviour would be twice as bad. You are a student, and he should not be using you. Especially not for some ulterior motive.

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

But being taught to teach is an ideal, not within reach for all of us.
Why? He is a teacher himself! Surely if he cares about your, and the other students' development, then he would take the time to make sure that you know how to teach effectively? Just knowing your martial art is not enough... teaching is an entirely different animal.

It seems like it is already fostering resentment. This may be jealousy, or it may be because people feel that by having an untrained instructor teaching them that they are not getting "value for money".

I partly agree with what you are saying here, from an ideal viewpoint. But my instructor is not a teacher, he has no teacher credentials, pedagogic training that I know of. Neither do anyone else. It would be great if him and all of us had some kind of program that we could go through, but we do not.

Ulterior motives can be bad, especially if they are hidden and there are desicions made that directly affects single persons, leaving them without a voice. And he put this on me without any explanation. If I do not get an satisfying explanation and see that he follows it up, it is clear that "sempaing" is something I should say no to.

Might as well give it a try for a bit but if you really don't want it, you are under no obligation to fill a teacher role.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Surely if he cares about your, and the other students' development, then he would take the time to make sure that you know how to teach effectively? Just knowing your martial art is not enough... teaching is an entirely different animal.

This is so true. I think that when put in a position like this, it is the instructor's duty to help you be as successful as possible by showing you the ropes before throwing you to the wolves.

Remember, you are a CUSTOMER, not a disciple. Sometimes instructors forget that I think ; )

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt