• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido's effectiveness

I thought it was interesting in the article that the author pointed out the differences between Aikido and Aiki-jujitsu.

Me too. But I knew there were tons of differences there (having a BB in Aiki Jujitsu). However, I never knew there were differences in the way Aikido was done in the past and the way it's done now. I found that very informative.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry, can't directly link because the site uses frames but: http://www.ellisaikido.org/ check out articles and the interview with Sensei Ellis...an intresting look a comments. Also check out the article here:

http://www.ellisaikido.org/isaikmart.html

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

The former, although this article: http://www.ellisaikido.org/isaikmart.html addressed the issue a bit better since the interview has a great deal to do with just one person

s life. Anyhow the issue I was trying to push was that many early practicioners of Aikido were accomplished martial artists, and how aikido as usually practiced may have stemmed from the ideas of its founder as he aged and taught more along the lines of what is seen today. Either way I don't have any problem if you do something like aikido, wushu (although I don't want traditional KF to be lost), Tai chi, etc. Aikido looks like it could be fun to do, and I could see how people would have an interest in pursuing it. What I don't like however is when a style which isn't really meant for conflict is billed as something that will enable you to throw attackers in the real world just as well as your uke.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I think people are to afraid to look vulnerable. To many ego's. People don't want to loose face, if they add resistance or alive trainining to there techniques. It is a humbling experience. I think that is why some people avoid sparring/rolling or even technique resistance training.

There are other factors too but that is one I wanted to mention.

I thought it was interesting in the article that the author pointed out the differences between Aikido and Aiki-jujitsu.

Me too. But I knew there were tons of differences there (having a BB in Aiki Jujitsu). However, I never knew there were differences in the way Aikido was done in the past and the way it's done now. I found that very informative.

On a side note- what was training in Aki-jujitsu like? I don't know too much about it but I find it interesting.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Basically you begin by learning basic strikes. Much like karate style striking. Not as many though. Front kick, gut punch (kind of a very low uppercut), straight punch, knee strikes, elbow strikes and stomps. At the same time you begin with falling drills.

As it goes on you learn and apply joint manipulations from the knees as well as learning throwing techniques that are similar to those in Judo. Eventually the joint manipulations move to the standing position and are put together into combinations.

The idea is that you are supposed to apply the strikes in such a way that they either blend into the movement of the opponent (aiki) or take the opponent's kuzushi themselves (kiai).

There is some ground work too. Triangle chokes, armbars, cross chokes, osikomi (pinning), and some reversal moves. Nothing like what I've done in BJJ.

Some places get very spiritual in the art, but not where I studied.

It gives a great feel for joint manipulations. However, there is no overall combat strategy in the art (which is true of many many martial arts today). It would be ok for self defense, but not as good as boxing, muay thai, bjj, kyokushin and rbsd systems.

Hope that helps.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

haha sure. I had no plans to train in it anytime soon, but I was just curious. If I were to do something like that I think I would want to learn a more dynamic art first then add some uniqueness to it by filtering in some techniques from an art like Akijujitsu. Oh and spiritual places are a big no in my book- I'm sure that there are probably less of those in Japan then in America though.

~Theodore Roosevelt