• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hand to Hand VS Duel Weider

Aces Red

Once again it depends on the context of the situation. I wont say that stepping back is wrong, just that there are more favourable things to do. But if you have to step back because the situation forces you to for whatever reason then thats where you have to work from. But ideally you should close the distance the moment you get the chance. Maintaining distance gives more chance to them, not you.

That clarifies things a bit. In my sources, it actually states that closing is the idea to defend, and that the movement backward is usually a result of a situation, as opposed to be the rule.

However, knife combat has not changed much over the past 1000 years, in my opinion.

Whilst i agree with you for the most part, the only thing i see that has changed is some of the older material(this applies to hand to hand also) focuses on the "dual" mentality of 2 guys squaring off outside a bar and going for it like a sparring match. The reality is, however, that a guy attacking you with a knife isnt going to stand back taking delicate little slashes at you, they are going to be trying to get close enough to get one hand on you so you cant move whilst they are pumping you with the knife in the other hand.

Actually, the defenses and situations that are discussed in my sources reflect the very scenarios that you have described. It was stated that a dirk (referencing my current source) would have been pulled in a surprise attack, and very rarely was "mutual" knife combat a result. The person to defend themselves would have to a). intercept the attack, and b) then attempt to counter and try to pull their own dirk.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something i forgot to add.

You have to look at the context of the situation, e.g. how did a guy with a knife in each hand end up standing in front of you about to cut you up?

Unless he walks up with both knives already drawn, he has to get them from somewhere. At any time during a threatening situation you see the other person reaching for their pockets or under their shirt etc, its a pretty good indication that they are reaching for a weapon and thats when you should move to end the confrontation, BEFORE they pull the weapon out.

I absolutely agree.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Well, the only thing I can think of is to find something to keep him at a distance until you can get help/ run away. A friend of the family used to live in a bit of a rough area downtown where he used to work at the gym. One day some crazy guy comes in wielding dual butcher knifes...he ended up using a hula hoop to keep him at a distance until the cops came.

Edited by NightOwl

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

On day some crazy guy comes in wielding dual butcher knifes...he ended up using a hula hoop to keep him at a distance until the cops came.

Whatever it takes, eh? Just goes to show that many things can come in handy.

• 5 months later...

In the situation in which you are unarmed against an opponent with two knives, I would recommend eye gouges as the primary hand strike and frontal groin smash kicks as the primary kick. I would suggest grabbing the left arm with your right and grabbing the right arm with your left so that you can take the temporary gain in initiative to smash the groin with a knee attack. Parrying one or both of his thrusting arms before attacking with a good knifehand attack to break the neck is also a good idea. A final suggestion is a palm heel strike against the nose that can transition into a throw by tilting the head backwards; you will want to cause the head to crack against the sidewalk. I infer from the number on your post that your query is looking for what could be judged to be the best intelligent defense against this attack (in summary). I'm the Grandmaster of Montgomery Style Karate and I'm currently writing a knife fighting document for the military, and without further thought, these are my best suggestions. Even with these suggestions, you'll probably take some serious slashes, so hope the other guy isn't too good. Take care of yourself and good luck!

'

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

mmmmhhh its a very difficult situation, and coming from me that means it deff. is . The best thing would be to find some type of weapon or run.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

How do you recomend grabbing the hands weilding the knives, John? Most likely, they will be slashing and trying to cut you. Grabbing them is going to be difficult.

Yes thats right , grabing them will not be the smarter idea, and ive done deadly weapons training.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

Like i said before if i were to have no weapon , then really the only choice is to run. Or you could try and be a hero , but who wants to get stabed or slashed ? no1