• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Conditioning Training

Clash

Hey guys, as you probably know I'm about/have just begun my martial arts journey and I'm going to be taking Shotokan Karate my first offical lesson is going to be September 12th. I'm sure this type of question has been discussed a lot but I couldn't find one that was just like a list of the things im looking for.

Anyways so far I'm really dedicated and serious about my path and my training. I was wondering if you guys could suggest some good excises, and equipment to do/build for body conditioning. That I should take up to go along with my normal psychical excise/training. Also can anyone give my advice on how many times/how long i should do certain body conditioning things a day. I know beating a rock can be very harmful if over done or done improperly I don't want to end up hurting or overworking my self which would only prolong my training or add to bad health. [/i]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is my opinion that you are better off studying the technique of hitting rather than just hitting hard stuff for the sake of hitting hard stuff. I spend a long time on the heavy bag, for example, but I don't just pound away at it like I did when I was boxing. I tend to avoid combos and just practice a few strikes over and over, focusing on penetration and weight transfer over any kind of endurance or strength building exercise (although after a while, it does give you those benefits). I may only hit it maybe 10-15 times a minute.

When it comes down to it, I would rather know how to give it than to take it.

In the end, hitting a heavy hanging bag bare-knuckled for about 30-45 minutes a day with an emphasis on proper form should set you up nicely as far as conditioning goes. No need to pretend you're in a kung fu movie.

For the other stuff, just lift weights (squats and bench press). I do that and a lot of pullups, since my style uses the muscles of the back and the forearms heavily.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the advice, before I go out and start bashing rocks and such I was hoping to get a lot of different opinions and so I found that very helpful. Anyways since I don't have any form of heavy bag yet, is there anything you would suggest to use in place of that for now? Would you suggest building one of the Okinawan Striking boards ( I'm can't remember what they are called at the moment.) to use until I can afford a heavy bag?

As opposed to concentrating on body conditioning, I think you may want to focus on some physical conditioning, in aerobic and/or anaerobic capacities. This will help you with your energy levels during training, as well as with recovery time to get back to it. Later on, as you get a handle on your techniques, you can then ask your instructor about some advise on body conditioning.

Ah yes, I've been focusing mainly on my physical conditioning, running as much as possible, jumping rope, push ups, weights and stuff. I as considering adding some body conditioning in to that. However your probably right, in me investing my focus in to getting my stamina and strength stronger first

Well, to clarify my point... it's more a matter of whether you believe body conditioning will help your ability to fight better or not. It may increase your ability to take a blow per se, but I think people get carried away with the idea of body conditioning (even those that don't hit rocks).

You are most likely referring to a makiwara. I suppose you could fashion your own... but it really would be best to get a heavy bag or to use one at a gym. Not that I have anything against a makiwara; most people don't know how to interpret the feedback correctly.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Yes i was referring to a makiwara, I've heard they take a lot of skill to be used properly or you can injury yourself on them so I was hoping for advice on that if anyone thought it was a good idea.

Anyways, I don't think I'd spend all my time doing body conditioning more just rounding out my training when I'm not in the dojo so I can actually take a few hits.

HI CLASHMM

SOME MARTIAL ARTISTS GET HOLD OF AN OLD DOUBLE/SINGLE MATRESS AND ROLL IT UP AND TIE WITH ROPE THEY THEN USE THAT AS A PUNCH BAG UNTIL THEY CAN AFFOERD ONE!

ALSO PUT A PUNCHBAG DOWN AS A X/MAS PRESENT! YOU NEVER KNOW? :brow:

Sounds like a pretty good idea, Now if i can just find a mattress .

Also when I do get a heavy bag, is there anything specific you guys would suggest like a certain weight? 50-60-70 lbs? Does it make a difference? should i start light and work up to heavier, or just use whatever i like? Is there a certain material thats better quality? Would anyone recommend buying a speed bag also?

For now, I wouldn't hit anything. Since you haven't learned how they want you to strike, you'll just form bad habits that will need to be broken later. Your best bet is to pay close attention and train for 6 months or so. This way you'll have developed the good habits first. Then when you practice, you'll be doing it correctly. Also, a punching bag or makiwara is about the hardest thing you need to punch. The conditioning will build up and takes years to develop. There's nothing hitting hard stuff will do for you in 12 days. You'd be more likely to hurt yourself and not be able to practice well.

Good luck!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."