• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey guys.... I was taught a lot of techniques , but I have success with just a few...specially those against the neck. The guillotine specially is what I use very often. I have never submited a technical or strong guy with armbars , kimura, etc ( I did it against weaker/lighter/newer opponents)

I know that the guillotine is very basic and raw , but I find it a cool tool. I have ´´won´´ sparring matches against very superior fighters , or complicate them using that technique from standing ,standing and then takin em to the guardo...or directly from the guard..... Maybe I am just lucky

Am I abusing of this technique ? I try to do lots of things in combat..but guillotine and other neck submisions are what work better for me....

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is what works for you, then I would stay with it. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

On the other hand, you don't want to rely on it all the time. Sometimes in class, you have to make yourself abandon it, so that you can learn to get into other moves and submissions. Eventually, everyone will figure you out, and may start countering your move. Then, you will have to find another path to victory.

Stick with it, but let yourself learn others, and work on them, as well.

Those are fun, I am not good at them though, I usally use it with a timing sweep, or if they just grab the hand to defend, I pummel through the arm pit, and attack the shoulder or sweep from there. Depending how they lean there weight.

How long have you been training?

Adonis , I have been trainin´ grappling for 8 months....but in the first 3 months I lost a lot of classes for different things. ( exams...parents visiting me, illness....etc).

Now I train MMA 2 times (sometimes 3 , when I miss some college class)per week and its very grappling oriented.

Sometimes in class, you have to make yourself abandon it, so that you can learn to get into other moves and submissions. Eventually, everyone will figure you out, and may start countering your move. Then, you will have to find another path to victory.

Sure....there are guys who are impossible to catch with guillotine...I know that I got to use other things... I do ....but if I got the chance to do it , I just di it. The problem is that... I am a slow guy and armbars need speed and reaction...I dont have them....I just have a lot of endurance and decent strenght.

I should work much more on other submisions

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

While the guillotine is a "raw" technique, it's also an effective technique. Also, as you grow as a grappler you'll start realizing that you can use it to set up other things (such as the sit-over sweep from the guard). If you have me in a position where it can successfuly be applied, I must defend it.

Here's my advice if you think you're abusing it. Don't use it against people less skilled than you. This will force you to practice your other weapons. You can still put your arm in place for the guillotine; but just to make the opponent defend. See what you can do off of it.

Let us know how it goes.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Here's my advice if you think you're abusing it. Don't use it against people less skilled than you. This will force you to practice your other weapons. You can still put your arm in place for the guillotine; but just to make the opponent defend. See what you can do off of it.

Let us know how it goes.

That is good advise. If everyone knows you like it, and use it, then "feinting" it in this way will allow you to play off of their defense.

Good call, ps1. I never thought of trying something like that. :)

It's really only feinting against people you are sure you could easily get it with. But it trains strong combinations. In the end, you should really go for the guillotine, if it's defended then go to the next portion of the combination.

Another good one is if the opponent brings the wrong hand in to defend the guillotine you can trap it and begin to take the back.

There's also a good way to set up the guillotine by attempting the sit-over sweep. If the opponent leans his weight into you with the head low, lock on the guillotine and drop back into the guard.

There's another good one from the half guard, but it's tough to describe. Maybe I'll make a video of that one since you're fond of the choke.

Or if they drive back for the sweep you can go into kimura. I like the shoulder attack by pummeling under neath the arm pit, you can also sweep them with it.

Exactly!!