• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It certainly would be practiced heavily in most jkd schools. Alot of RBSD styles practice "trapping" also, not in the traditional sense however. Its more often alot more basic and direct.

I have practiced a toned-down version of trapping in my ICHF sessions.

• 2 months later...

when I 1st learned this, I was fascinated by it,

I thought it was "THE secret".

It also had lots of contradictions especially when training

in Boxing & Thaiboxing.

Now, for me, they work very well and doesn't contradict

but only help each other out.

all I can say is just have an open mind and make sure

you train in other styles, and keep a positive attitude.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

One of the things to remember when trapping is that it is simply another tool to and end. I see too many guys get caught up in throwing multiple traps and in the process pass great opportunities to inflict damage.

Trapping isn't something to do for it's own sake. It's an avanue to help advance your fight stratagy. Nothing more.

• 3 months later...

In the JKD sense, I think the trapping concepts come from chi sao and lop sao techniques. It has to do with removing and obstruction (arm or hand) from a line of attack, along with possibly pinning it and keeping it out of the line of attack.

Yes. It's the temporary immobiliziation (or removal from your path of attack) of an arm for a counter strike. Much of it does come dirctly from chineese arts thru JKD.

The are very useful tools. They can be used singly (which is them most comon and direct), or in combinations that can get very complex. Which again are useful to have exposure to.

Again, the big thing to remember is not to trap for trappings sake, but to use the tactic to advance your fight strategy. In this they are excellent tools. They should be trainded to be integrated into continuity with the rest of your tools.

There are a couple of good books out there on the subject. One is Jeet Kune Do: Entering to Trapping and Grappling by Harnstell and Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do Textbook. The first is far more useful on the trapping from if memeory serves.