• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uses for Toho Uchi?

Alpacinator1

Hello, I'm a beginner in karate (only 6th kyu), so I don't really understand everything. So could someone explain to me what the move Toho Uchi (sword peak strike) is useful for? If you try to hit a punching bag or brick with it, you're going to rip your thumb out, and I don't think getting hit with a bit of fleshy tissue is going to hurt an opponent...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd advise not hitting a punching bag or a brick with it then.

I must confess, I'd never heard of that move before, but with a bit of googling it seems to be a block with the web of the thumb between the thumb and forefinger. Its application is likely to be a grabbing technique or a strike to the throat.

I'd advise not hitting a punching bag or a brick with it then.
:lol:

Is it the strike shown here http://home.planet.nl/~karatedo/Kyokushin/pagina/basic/basic34.htm? I learned it in hapkido as a strike to the throat using the web of the hand. Another hitting surface might be the knuckle to the first joint of the index finger. Typically a strike using either of these two surfaces is done very hard and fast and used when lethal force is called for. You can also use this as a gentler pushing motion using the tip of the thumb against the throat below the voice box as a non-lethal pressure point technique.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Yes, it would be good for a throat strike, or as a grabbing motion if you turn the hand into different positions. You could also use to parry and attempt to grab arms as well.

Hello, I'm a beginner in karate (only 6th kyu), so I don't really understand everything. So could someone explain to me what the move Toho Uchi (sword peak strike) is useful for? If you try to hit a punching bag or brick with it, you're going to rip your thumb out, and I don't think getting hit with a bit of fleshy tissue is going to hurt an opponent...

I didn't know the name for it, but yeah, don't hit a wall with that technique... lol.

"But I know this: you were determined to win just as I was determined to die if I lost. That was the difference between us." - Matsumura, Karatedo: My Way of Life, by Gichin Funakoshi.

Yes, it would be good for a throat strike, or as a grabbing motion if you turn the hand into different positions. You could also use to parry and attempt to grab arms as well.

Alpacinator1 originally asked about it's use as a strike. But as bushido_man96 points out, the same hand formation can be used in a grab. And example is found in bassai dai rigt before the side kick to the knee. In hapkido we tended to keep the thumb closed up with the palm during the beginning of the parry and didn't spread it out until after contact was made with the opponents wrist.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

In kung fu we just called it wide hand blow. I never knew the Japanese for it. Thanks for the education.

I use it for the same applications that Bushido mentioned above.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its used to strike the throat and then grab you can alos use it to grab the wrist and turn it into a series of locks very nicely.

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy