• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taikyoku Sandan (What Style of MA is he doing?)

DisgruntledGirl

In our system we do the 1st and third taikyokus so this spurred me to look for vids on youtube of others doing it... In my search I found this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6N-dF9BX7Y

and while I didnt look hard at all thats pretty much the only Taikyoku Sandan I found on youtube (I think it might be bundled in with all of the taikyokus in other vids though but I wasnt prepared to really look for it right now)

Just curious if this is just a stylistic difference or if this guy just does one really weird and peculiar Taikyoku Sandan. I was laughing while watching but then realised that there are many systems out there that differ (My style is closely related to Shotokan, but at the same time isnt Shotokan)... I just didnt think it'd differ *that* much.

Can anyone tell me what style he is doing though just so maybe I can get a better sence of why he does the moves the way he does?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I vaguely remember the Taikyoku katas from my first MA class (over 20 years ago). What style do you do? Mine was Kajukenbo. This looks like the kata I remember as Taikyoku 3, but he does his blocks much differently than we did. He also leans forward on his steps which I did not expect from someone with a pretty high rank. In the vid, it looks black or brown. Very odd to me.

Edited by AikiGuy

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

What style do you do?

Shindo Jinen Ryu

Mine was Kajukenbo. This looks like the kata I remember a Taikyoku 3, but he does his blocks much differently than we did. He also leans forward on his steps which I did not expect from someone with a pretty high rank. In the vid, it looks black or brown. Very odd to me.

Yeah, thats what I mean. Sure if I had to take a guess I could have probably guessed that he was "trying" to do Taik... San... but he just appears very wobbly. None of the techniques are executed anything like the way I'd expect a style that would do that particular kata (I wouldnt expect too "soft" of a style to do those... but maybe they do, I am fairly ignorant on those kind of things) would execute them, particularly the soto uke (at least when we do it its a soto...)... seems rather exagerated and just different I spose... not even the punches look right. Everything looks a bit odd.

I think he just jazzed it up for the music prob a demo version.

Based on the Gi and Yin Yang Id guess some sort of TKD.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

However he is doing karate kata, with the Japanese names.

As I said elsewhere, differences in style do not make up for bad body dynamics or poor technique. :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

As I said elsewhere, differences in style do not make up for bad body dynamics or poor technique. :)

true, but not all techniques are the same, thus you may see differences. you see something similar to a bow and arrow stance in capoeira a lot, but it is a dynamic position and you are supposed to lean. when I trained jung fu, they told me my roundhouse was wrong - it came from muay thai and hard contact karate.

true, but not all techniques are the same, thus you may see differences. you see something similar to a bow and arrow stance in capoeira a lot, but it is a dynamic position and you are supposed to lean. when I trained jung fu, they told me my roundhouse was wrong - it came from muay thai and hard contact karate.

No, not all techniques are the same. This I totally agree with, but ultimately there is always a few factors that mean it is either right or wrong. For example punching with a bent wrist is likely to end up with a sprained wrist, regardless of style. :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum