• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Height and Martial arts

I've heard that being short can help in grappling, while being tall helps in striking...maybe?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed is more important than being short or tall IMO .

It is about how one can best adopt and learn martial arts according to his/her own body type .

many masters of martial arts are small in stature but it doesnt effect their abilities.

Edited by pers

never give up !

Every height has its advantages, and its disadvantages. Tall people have a greater reach, usually (not always) a harder punch/kick due to more mass, but a larger target area to defend. Short people have speed, lower center of gravity (more stable) and a smaller target area to defend.

The thing to watch out with taller people when they fight a shorter person is that most of them are "head hunters"...meaning they go for head shots the majority of the time, as that's what's easiest for them to attack. A shorter person needs to understand that and learn to get under their attack and go for the torso more than their head.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Historically, the Asian martial arts are based upon the physically dynamics of people being shorter. Many of the motions look more natural, and sharp. This holds true especially in the areas of kung fu, and some forms of karate where low deep stances are required. Get in low, and get in fast. It is the inside fighter, in my view that will win fights, and not one that tries to pick and choose strikes from a distance.

Size doesn't always matter in the case of MA, but mindset does!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I'm shorter than you :D I'm 5'. Though if you want to be picky (as I love to be) I'm 4'11 1/2" (for a funny fact my bf is over 6' :lol: ) I don't mind being short, it has disadvantages but I just have to adjust. The hard part is trying to kick head hight when your supposed to on some big tall guy, but you just work with your height. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

Wow you are just as tall as my 12 year old brother but I guess you just have to make whatever you have work for you. The Ninja turtles are supposed to be around 5'2 and they can kick major butt so I don't feel so bad.

I have ninja monkies in my brain and they are using it as a trampaline.

• 2 months later...

I'm 6'2", my instructor is 5'6". He has had no problem working with me. There are students of mine who outweigh me by 90lbs. I have had to make adjustments to help them as well.

As someone said, you have to learn to work with what you have. You'll find that the inside is where you want to be on taller people and you'll probably have a hard time figuring out their range as well.

I'm 6'6" as well, just starting or trying to start in MMA. I was wondering what your weight is at?

I weigh around 240 lbs...haven't a clue as to how many stones (or is it rocks? :brow: ) that is.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.