• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Height and Martial arts

Hi everyone, Most people in the martial arts world are normal height but I am not. I stand 5'2 1/2 inches tall without shoes. Is there anyone else close to my height here?

I have ninja monkies in my brain and they are using it as a trampaline.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 5'2.75" tall. I have found that whenever I spar or grapple its a near guarantee that my partner will be taller then me. Which isn't so bad but I do like to be able to spar people closer to my own height. Only time that happens usually is when I'm teaching the kids class. Most of the kids 11-13 years old are taller then me, and some of the 9 & 10 year olds :)

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Hmm, I've never found small hands and feet to be an issue with me in MA.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

6'6" here...that's about 198cm for you metric folks. Being taller than everybody else in class has it's on set of "issues" too. :(

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Define "normal height." I'm 6'5". People have always told me I'd be great at MA because of my long arms and legs. Sounds good but I'm not so sure it's true. After all, the originators of Karate were Asian. How many 6'5" Asians have you ever seen? There are a few but, by and large, Asian people are much shorter than me and there are plenty of them that are much better Martial Artists than me too.