• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

headbutt in karate?

Sinbad

Hi everyone

karate has such a huge variety of strikes with fists, fingers, elbows, knees and feet. Does anyone know if headbutting is a traditional karate strike? If so, what is the japanese name for this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know for sure, but i doubt it.

The chances of inflicting damage to yourself are far to high. I think most martial artists spend most of their time protecting their head not banging it against something just as hard.

If it is/was a move, i don't know...er.. Jodan tsuki :smile: ... Jodan uchi :uhoh:

???????

Just my opinions, toast me if you want :lol:

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you think you know.

Actually there is a head butt in karate. I don't know the term for it. The show-off type break some do with their head is a real thing. There is a spot on the front of the cranium where the bone is thicker than it is elsewhere.

It is really a purely self defense type of technique.

I never thought of that, now you mention it i have seen people (on tv) break stone blocks and ice and other freaky stuff with their head.

It's gotta hurt though :dead:

I suppose anything is fair game if your in close.

Would you use it in a fight ?

Just my opinions, toast me if you want :lol:

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you think you know.

I had quick look through a book thingy that I got when I joined my dojo and there is a head butt in there thats called Men Uchi Tsuki but it has a little star next to it, the only technique with one in the whole book, but I don't know what thats for. It's called a head butt so I guess that's what it is :idea:

I don't know if it is a traditional technique but prob. In Karate you are taught that anything can be a weapon.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I use this move a lot when I practice/teach bunkai.

We all know about hidden techniques, and a head butt is one of them - when applying kata, they are al over the place

Cya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Headbutts are VERY practical and effective when you are in close. They don't hurt much if you use the front/top of your head (very strong bone here) and you strike the opponent's face. Don't butt the opponent's skull since that wll hurt! :smile:

TR, bunkai in karate, eh!? I had never thought of that. Great idea, I will have to see where I can fit them in, in my own kata practice :idea: