• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thoughts on ATA schools?

Third degree is based off of Kung fu, it has those circular brushing away movements, kinda from some Wushu Styles, and even has a monkey block.

What is the "monkey block?" I have seen 3rd degree form performed quite a bit, but not for a while. I don't remember seeing anything too out of the ordinary, though.

Do you think that GM Lee had any experience with Kung Fu?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he did, and in fact the grandmaster recently came back from training with the Shaolin monks and showed us some exercise moves because our master, she is really good friends with him :P. In fact she is always mentioning how she has him on speed dial :P.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

You are talking about GM Soon Ho Lee, right? Not the previous GM Lee, who was the one who made the forms?

The previous master made the forms.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

Yeah, I know. But I don't know that he had any experience with Kung Fu, other than just seeing some stuff. My understanding was that he garnered the majority of his training under General Choi.

Yeah, I know. But I don't know that he had any experience with Kung Fu, other than just seeing some stuff. My understanding was that he garnered the majority of his training under General Choi.

Yeah, he did all his learning from General Choi but that doesn't mean he stopped there, and no one else should stop at one person or style, but yea, i believe he continued to look into the history and stuff when creating the upper ranks stuff.

- Bruce Lee

I think you are right that he looked into some history when creating the upper rank forms. I also believe that TKD has some Chinese influence, even though it may be small amounts. In actuality, TKD has roots in Shotokan Karate, and if Shotokan has any lineage to Kung Fu, then the little bits will be there. Maybe that is where H. U. Lee came up with the cirucular motions for doing some of the black belt techniques. However, to say that he has experience in Kung Fu, I think may be a bit of a stretch.

Well, the thing everyone has got to remember is that the kicking techniques were always there thanks to warfare during the three kingdoms era. But TKD as a style is brand new, and consisted of mixtures of other styles.

I'm sure he trained a bit with Kung Fu but i didn't mean he was like a direct practitioner, kind of like how our recent master was training with the Shaolin Monks. But yea, the third degree was based on Kung Fu though. And i'm tired, Now i'm running three miles every Monday and Wednesday after practice of those days...yikes..my mile time i believe is actually 8 minutes! i thought it was like 9:30 for the black belt prequalifications!

- Bruce Lee

Good to see your training is going well, especially with the running.

Do the black belts still do mid term testings? They did when I was in, but I don't know if they still do or not.

When did Soon Ho train with Shaolin monks? I would be interested in seeing some of his backgrounds.

I actually got to attend a seminar class with Soon Ho Lee when he as still the Chief Master. I got to work out in this class at the Rocky Mountain Workout, in '94, I believe. It was fun, and a good workout. I got a hell of a sweat going, and we worked out in the open mountain air. Thin air is hard to breath in for a flatlander like me!

That's pretty awesome, yea, it was only like a two months ago or so when he finished training with them. He seems to be really good friends with our master so he told her some training stuff. Yea black belts also still midterm. A lot of people don't like it but i do because it makes it so a black belt doesn't just memorize his form and does it at the end. Also, you must now do the prequalifications before every testing i believe. Awesome isn't it! So you HAVE to be in shape...ooo soo many blackbelts are struggling right now lol. I am happy cuz I won't be one of them...i mean come on I'm in better shape than some 2nd degree 17 year olds!

- Bruce Lee