• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hwang's Martial Arts, studio advice Please?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why the costs are higher at the TKD/Judo school if they train 3 times a week or more, and the Shotokan school only trains once/week. Testing fees vary wildly from school - school and style to style. It sounds like the dan testing fee in the TKD school of 200 - 300 dollars would include Kukkiwon Certification or something along those lines, or it could be a school that does a special 6 week black belt training course before the test or something. If you're wondering about the testing fees, I'd ask what those tests get you in terms of certifications, and what is involved in terms of scope.

The uniforms aren't bad at $45. A little more than what you'd pay on the internet, but I've looked at schools who wanted me to pay $300 for their school branded uniform, and I didn't have the option of using my own uniform (I was black belt in TKD at the time already, and needless to say didn't end up training at that school.)

Also, your own sparring gear is essential not only for fit and hygiene reasons as mentioned before, but also for the school's insurance policy. Any student who doesn't wear sparring gear is a huge liability, especially for the youngsters. Recommending that students get their own I would think would be more to ensure that there's enough gear to go around when sparring time comes. (Ever share sweaty equipment with someone? It's not fun.)

It's a little strange that the Shotokan school's rates go UP after you've been there a while, but maybe that's a sign that the instructor only wants to instruct dedicated students, and will spend more time, and impart more information only after the student can make it through the first 6 months. Then the instructor knows you're serious, and knows how to instruct you better by knowing you better.

I can't see anything yet that would scream McDojo from either school, but as BushidoMan initially said, you can't really tell from the outside, or from the marketing face of the school. Every school is a business afterall, and has to make money regardless of whether it is considered a McDojo or not, and every school wants, and needs to advertise to prospective students. You'll only be able to tell what's right for you by trying out some classes and starting to train at one of the schools, if you don't like it, you can switch to the other.

I would say that since you want Judo training, go for the TKD/Judo school. Shotokan is great, but if it isn't all that you want then don't do it if you've got the opportunity to get what you're looking for.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

It's a little strange that the Shotokan school's rates go UP after you've been there a while, but maybe that's a sign that the instructor only wants to instruct dedicated students, and will spend more time, and impart more information only after the student can make it through the first 6 months. Then the instructor knows you're serious, and knows how to instruct you better by knowing you better.

I had another meeting with the Shotokan instructor tonight, that's exactly why he maked the price go up he only wants committed students the first 6 months are just to make sure your not wasting your time or money, it also goes up because after that period you begin lessons twice a week, IT appears that he is having his sampi (?) start a new class just for me/my friend and a few other older/adult students which will be just private training for adults until we get to a certain level and catch up andit may very well be the begining of a adults only course in their school.

Idunno so far I'm really leaning towards the Shotokan school to start and pick up judo some time later.. The guy only does it because he loves teaches and it isn't his man job.. He seems to form a close relation to all of his students and him and the black belt simpi( sp??) are the only two that instruct classes. It's all very personal and A LOT MORE traditional than the other school.. no Flashy cartoon figures on the walls or anything, hell theres not even matts in the dojo.

By the way I really want to thank every one of your that has posted and given me advice, its help me with a lot of the decision making and with out your help I'd be completely lost!

Clash,

This is exactly the type of class I teach currently. It's not my main job, I don't want to teach anyone but dedicated students, and I don't want to take on a lot of students, and then not be able to give a lot of individual attention to students.

As you are just starting in the martial arts, and it sounds as though you will be a very dedicated student, and interested in a more traditional atmosphere, I now think that you are correct in leaning towards the Shotokan school (and you should be following your instincts here anyway.) It also might be a little overwhelming to start 2 different styles at once, especially because it sounds like you do really want all the traditional elements, and not just a crash course in any art you will go into. That's not to say that the other school will not teach you good Judo, (or TKD) but two arts at once to start can be very difficult, especially 2 arts so different like Judo and TKD. It also (and more importantly in my book) seems that your personality is better suited towards the atmosphere in the Shotokan school.

While I don't know the exact translation, a Sempai is a senior ranking student (almost always a black belt) who is akin to an assistant, or trainee instructor. It is not unusual for a Sempai to teach classes, and the fact that an all adult class is beginning is a good sign. It does sound like the Shotokan instructor is in it for the teaching rather than the business, and again, from what you've told us about yourself so far, you'll probably enjoy the atmosphere there better (nothing against the other school at all.)

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Nothing really screaming "warning" to me here. It looks like any other TKD place trying to make a little money while teaching the art.

I would suggest you watch a couple classes at other schools if you can find any. At least that way you have something to compare it to.

In the end, it's whether or not YOU are comfortable with the instructors and the environment, and if you like what techniques the martial art teaches.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.