• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, we all know that the late Bruce Lee, who compiled the information, wrote books, and then made Gung-Fu, Formally studied Wing Chun with The late Yip Man. But now comes a time where I have to decide...Gung-Fu..or Wing Chun? I know they are close to each other, but Im looking for a martial art that incoporates self-defense,but also inflicts as much damage as possible on my attacker.There is also a Ninjitsu Dojo nearby that only trains (completely non-competitive), but im not that much of a fit person (I tire easily, but in shape 8) , im not half-bad), will that effect my training if I enroll into those classes?. Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

real self defense schools will make you train hard to improve your endurance and stamina.

There are hundreds of kung fu styles out there and bruce lee was not the first and is definitely not the last of the famous kung fu practitioners. He was certainly not the "inventor" of eclectic martial arts.

the best way to learn which would be the best for you, you will have to go online and search about the different styles out there and ask the schools what they teach as self defense(a lot of schools out there, including ninjitsu will teach you material that is worthless) so be careful in your reading and how u determine what style is the right for u.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Go to each school, and check each one out. Watch the classes, and then talk to the instructors about what their training goals are. Effectiveness will result more from the instructor and his training methods, as opposed to what style you choose.

Authentic ninjutsu {Bujinkan} as taught by hatsumi could hardly be thought of as having useless techniques or curriculum.

Now just how applicable is some of it, that remains a good question.

If you want a striking art, then find a non-sport muay thai, or perhaps a chinese boxing {fighting taiji}.

There are many wushu arts that also practice more kicks than punches in case you enjoy that.

There is also Chi'na or Shuai Chiao.

Just a matter of finding your likes and dislikes, and matching that with your physical capabilities.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Bujinkan may or may not be authentic (I am going to write an investigative article on the Ninja soon), but it never hurts to visit. Just don't be too bowled over by any claims and keep an eye on how they train.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Well, we all know that the late Bruce Lee, who compiled the information, wrote books, and then made Gung-Fu, Formally studied Wing Chun with The late Yip Man. But now comes a time where I have to decide...Gung-Fu..or Wing Chun? I know they are close to each other, but Im looking for a martial art that incoporates self-defense,but also inflicts as much damage as possible on my attacker.There is also a Ninjitsu Dojo nearby that only trains (completely non-competitive), but im not that much of a fit person (I tire easily, but in shape 8) , im not half-bad), will that effect my training if I enroll into those classes?. Thanks

huh? bruce lee made jun fan and jkd - he didn't create gung fu... gung fu and kung fu are one and the same, just as qi and chi are the same and tai chi and taiji are the same - it's dialectual.

• 1 month later...

Wing chun IS Kung fu !.. Kung fu is an umbrella term for chinese MA ,

Choy li fat is kung fu , tai chi is kung fu , hun gar is kung fu , mantis is kung fu etc etc etc

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

Wing chun IS Kung fu !.. Kung fu is an umbrella term for chinese MA ,

Choy li fat is kung fu , tai chi is kung fu , hun gar is kung fu , mantis is kung fu etc etc etc

I didn't think that Tai Chi was a type of Kung Fu, really. On the other hand, doesn't Wushu mean "Martial Arts?"

Tai Chi is apparently really, really effective (If you can find a genuine teacher who isn't just into the "old people" Tai Chi... JUST for health purposes) And yeah, I believe Wushu does mean Martial Art!

As for choosing a style/school, I would actually ask to sit in on a class of each, talk to the people that would be teaching you (remembering that just because someone is the "boss", doesn't mean they will be teaching you) and maybe do a little more research into the styles themselves!

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

• 3 months later...

well ive done Nin-jitsu and i think that you need to be good on your feet and move around very quickly if that isn't a problem then go for it!.

Wing Chun ive done also , i say out of the two "wing chun and gung-fu" wing chun is better because of its quicker hand movements and striking

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.