• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

video - applying karate to real-life self-defense situations

turbo wrx

Hi. I feel that the Karate class I'm taking is more geared towards tournament competition, and not self-defense. I was also hoping we'd practice blocks more, but then again I'm still very much a beginner.

I was wondering if there was a video that showed how to apply Karate kihon to real-life self-defense situations. For example, let's say in the video an "attacker" tried to sneak up on a karateka and headlock him, and then the karateka would demonstrate how to use Karate techniques to deal with this situation (and various other attacks one could face on the street). Because, let's face it, if attacked in real life, the attacker won't get into a front stance and do a reverse chudan punch.

Anyone know of such an instructional video?

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you find that your class is too geared for competition, maybe you should look for another school. I have found videos to be a poor imitation for class instruction.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I feel that the Karate class I'm taking is more geared towards tournament competition, and not self-defense. I was also hoping we'd practice blocks more, but then again I'm still very much a beginner.

I was wondering if there was a video that showed how to apply Karate kihon to real-life self-defense situations. For example, let's say in the video an "attacker" tried to sneak up on a karateka and headlock him, and then the karateka would demonstrate how to use Karate techniques to deal with this situation (and various other attacks one could face on the street). Because, let's face it, if attacked in real life, the attacker won't get into a front stance and do a reverse chudan punch.

Anyone know of such an instructional video?

Try looking into applications of Gojushiho katas , you may find what you looking for .

never give up !

As a beginner, you're not learning karate. You're learning how long your arms are, how to move in relation to a partner; you're strengthening your arms and legs and preparing your body to learn karate, but you're not learning it yet. Once you start moving from a free stance, it'll feel more like "proper karate" and you'll feel more confident about hitting real people.