• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Street fight critique

So in the end are you saying that your first option is never dealt with by your serious side, but with everyday tactics unless, it doesn't seem fit?

I guess it goes to prove that the people who usually try to give off a tough appearance really don't have much to back it up.

I don't understand what you are saying here. I try to consider everything seriously the first time, especially if someone is trying to be threatening or overbearing towards me. I don't try to act tough. I just try to be myself. I always try to be prepared and aware, though, too.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my interpretation of speaking of someone trying to hurt me: If you want to hurt me, I am going to try as hard as I can to make sure you get hurt. In fact, if you want to do harm to me, and resolve to do so, then I want to hurt you even more, so that you don't think that it is such a good idea to try next time. That is just the way I think, though. Sure, some will say "turn the other cheek." However, you only have two cheeks.

I'm the same way. If someone actually tries to start trouble with me (and by starting trouble I mean physically assaulting or threatening me not the macho chest bumping and insults that nothing more than showmanship), I want them to find out how bad of a mistake it was.

I looke at it like this--when you're a child and you put your hand on the hot stove you quickly found out for yourself that you should never put your hand on the hot stove to begin with--I aim to be that hot stove :D

Great analogy, bearich. I'm like a rattlesnake - I just like to be left alone. If you insist on provoking me, be prepared to get snakebit.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

So in the end are you saying that your first option is never dealt with by your serious side, but with everyday tactics unless, it doesn't seem fit?

I guess it goes to prove that the people who usually try to give off a tough appearance really don't have much to back it up.

I don't understand what you are saying here. I try to consider everything seriously the first time, especially if someone is trying to be threatening or overbearing towards me. I don't try to act tough. I just try to be myself. I always try to be prepared and aware, though, too.

Ah, I see, I wasn't implying anything, I meant those who attack the innocent usualy dont have anything to back it. And not that you wouldnt take it seriously, but not overreat, so it was a positive statement.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

For the person who asked before, Paris is not a violent city.

Actually I was talking with some traveler friends of mine (both have lived overseas in different countries, and one speaks 4 languages), and they both have experienced or heard of crazy things going on over there. Apparently the underground is off limits after 10pm unless you are looking for some trouble, and one of them did go there late in the night and said that there was a lot of shouting and he got some really mean stares from some ruffian types. Mind, he is 6 foot 290lbs, and has done wrestling, TKD, karate, and used to do competitive weightlifting in his younger years, so not too many people would try and pick a fight with him I guess. :D

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

So switching to kicks might show that maybe the other guy was not condifdent to punch, and switching itself would be losing...like two rams smashing head on until victory.

In a way, it sounds like a really honorable fight, no tricks, no numbers, just fighting in its bare form.

I've been in two highschool fights, currently a junior, and I know whenever I kick or shoot on a guy and take him to the ground, people think I had to cheat....but I guess they don't realize is that due to my training, Leg kicking and shooting have became natural reflexes.

I'm pretty sure this is what a Martial Artist wants to achieve. It may look like cheating to others, but to me..2nd nature.

A New Age Dawns

So switching to kicks might show that maybe the other guy was not condifdent to punch, and switching itself would be losing...like two rams smashing head on until victory.

In a way, it sounds like a really honorable fight, no tricks, no numbers, just fighting in its bare form.

I've been in two highschool fights, currently a junior, and I know whenever I kick or shoot on a guy and take him to the ground, people think I had to cheat....but I guess they don't realize is that due to my training, Leg kicking and shooting have became natural reflexes.

I'm pretty sure this is what a Martial Artist wants to achieve. It may look like cheating to others, but to me..2nd nature.

Yeah, you know as well as I do that, thats just ignorance of non-martial artists.

I didn't want anyone to think that I agree there is such thing as "cheating" techniques

You have a great point too. If you know how to switch things up, when the time comes to do so, for any reason (such as grappling to avoid legal issues, or even survivng), youll be 100% prepared.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn