• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Street fight critique

If by morals you mean not trying to really hurt the other person...well, if it isn't just light sparring around but an actual fight, my favorite moral is : Do unto others so that they don't have a chance to do unto you.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points. Some people consider using knees or kicks cheating. That is part of the reason behind boxing's "auld-tyme sport" reputation as the pure fighting sport. I guess, in the case of a street fight, that would make me a cheater regardless of the crowd.

Boxing used to be a lot more complex and rough business before the 'Queens rules'. Anyone still practice old bareknuckle style?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

...my favorite moral is : Do unto others so that they don't have a chance to do unto you.

Here, here! I love that one! :D

Boxing used to be a lot more complex and rough business before the 'Queens rules'. Anyone still practice old bareknuckle style?

That would be quite nice to see. One can imagine how much this would different from the sport that is seen today.

If by morals you mean not trying to really hurt the other person...well, if it isn't just light sparring around but an actual fight, my favorite moral is : Do unto others so that they don't have a chance to do unto you.

ha, yeah thats a good qoute! I'll try to explain in my post below.

Sorry to be antagonistic but:

Thats terribly black and white, not everyone who has been in a real situation throws away thier morals. Not to say i think that using different technqiues is cheating at all by any means. And not to say that honor is the same thing as morals. But the implications, reply to both sets of words. Just trying to create a colourful multi-facated discussion.

What do you mean by "throwing away morals" in a fight? If you could elaborate some, I would be able to issue a better informed response.

Hmm, what I mean by that with non-offensive intentions, is trying to argue the difference in what people believe to be the result of real life experience. Some view it as thinking this way, or thinking this idea, when really we can only speak for ourselves.

Really, it is all about people's perception. Those who have never been in a fight for their life would maybe call it cheating; the others would call it surviving.

So when I read your post, which had a good point in one regard, it only gave two options of opinion. So it’s commonly agreed that people who have never been in a real life situation are usually stubborn or bull-headed about their argument, and I agree.

However just because many people who have been in real life situations think this one thing, doesn’t make it acceptable to only acknowledge that one idea of true experience.

After someone’s first real life situation, they may have found they didn't change views or had suddenly been released from their previous ignorance, but had strengthened the ideas and strived to improve them.

Simply surviving is great, but that person might find something to work on, and go long distances to improve them, and if need be, prove it through a dangerous situation if they know its a smart option.

I can see how my statement was unclear, hopefully this is better.

The point that not everyone has been in a situation where they had to test the difference between what they say and what they do, is also valid.

True, and I agree, but to only a certian extent. Theres many different views of life experiance, and its hard to find words to match all of them.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I think the thread may be diverging here from the original ideas.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I think the thread may be diverging here from the original ideas.

oops, sorry Baron, at least the original ones spawned a whole whack of new ones, and thats the sign of a good topic!

But I did want to ask you, maybe its cultural thing? It always seems like theres internal conflict in France and they seem to have a different attitude towards living completely. Also, did you see any martial arts centres around?

William Penn

Menjo, I didn't look for any MA schools but didn't see any. These guys were untrained. It could very well be a cultural difference.

I also don't mind topic changes, I was just a bit confused as to what exactly was being said and where it was going.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I also don't mind topic changes, I was just a bit confused as to what exactly was being said and where it was going.

That makes two of us.

William Penn

Here is my interpretation of speaking of someone trying to hurt me: If you want to hurt me, I am going to try as hard as I can to make sure you get hurt. In fact, if you want to do harm to me, and resolve to do so, then I want to hurt you even more, so that you don't think that it is such a good idea to try next time. That is just the way I think, though. Sure, some will say "turn the other cheek." However, you only have two cheeks.

Here is my interpretation of speaking of someone trying to hurt me: If you want to hurt me, I am going to try as hard as I can to make sure you get hurt. In fact, if you want to do harm to me, and resolve to do so, then I want to hurt you even more, so that you don't think that it is such a good idea to try next time. That is just the way I think, though. Sure, some will say "turn the other cheek." However, you only have two cheeks.

Interesting view bushido_man, and I think you have a good point when it comes to "turn the other cheek".

You can only turn once before you turn on your ideals again or surrender both sides of your defense, external with dealing with everyday things, and the serious side in which is only used in emergencies.

So in the end are you saying that your first option is never dealt with by your serious side, but with everyday tactics unless, it doesn't seem fit?

I guess it goes to prove that the people who usually try to give off a tough appearance really don't have much to back it up.

William Penn