• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chuck Liddell's spinning back kick

Actually I lie. I have changed my mind about this kick.

It so seems the JKD rear spinning kick is thrown very similar.

At 0.09

Bruce Lee fighting an extra on set. Sijo is proof enough.

He doesn't look either.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the kicks we do is like a donkey kick.

I remember a self-defense lesson my teacher was working on with us that included this kick, and the position of the defender was so close that she said it was likely to go no more than groin high but be powerful enough.

Speaking with the assistant instructor at the time, I learned from him that just a bit of distance more, still close, and that donkey kick would wind up in the assailant's lower midsection.

It's not that we were discouraged from looking, but a glance while turning your back to the opponent was all you needed to know you were going to make hard contact. And I think Liddell was making the point that once he fires off the kick, he's committed to it; he's not going to try (or be able) to stop it in midflight if the opponent moves.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

This is by far my favorite kick. It's compact yes, but it's also extremely powerful and if you execute it correctly, you can eliminate telegraphing.

I actually practice it in the traditional TKD way, which (as I was taught) is to keep your head and eyes forward while starting the spin to keep your target in site as long as possible. Contrary to other spinning kicks my head is the last thing to turn when I perform this kick.

Also, after I throw the kick, I reverse my spin and end up back where I started, which takes a LOT of practice to get down (especially if you're kicking with full power), but I find I maintain much better balance doing it this way than spinning in a complete 360, and I'm also in a much better defensive position if I happen to miss the kick. (I wouldn't recommend trying it this way in competition however, until you've practiced it at least a thousand times and gotten your balance down.)

One more qualifying statement: The above method isn't to suggest that performing this kick with a complete 360 spin isn't effective. It works very well either way. Just thought I'd present this alternative method.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

i agree with Chuck, once i committ to throw the kick thats it. My target is usually hit with it. I use it as a counter to aggressive attackers.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

It's also a very balanced kick. The body stays compact and there if no overextending if done correctly--a good fighting kick as opposed to a pretty kick.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 1 year later...

My spin side kick is rather interesting in that it is really a turn around side kick and allows me to produce a huge amount of power with. Don't know how it turned into that but i like. I also use the turn around back kick(heel kick) quite a lot in sparring but i through it without turnning my upper body so many people don't even see it coming. I cal it the hidden heel kick. :)