• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chuck Liddell's spinning back kick

One of my favorite kicks. Simple, low, and I think more effective than what many people throw, the spinning side kick. That said, I wish I could do it as effectively as Chuck Liddell. He doesn't even extend it much. Take a look.

not that I could do much better, but it looked sloppy to me??

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really think that it was, and I practice a kicking style. It is really a compact kick, and if you want to get that motion going into your opponent, like he was talking about, that little hop can give you quite a bit of extra umph into the kick. It also lets you abandon that little step prior to the setup.

I have seen Cung Le use the same step over with the front leg to set his up as well.

I didn't really think that it was, and I practice a kicking style. It is really a compact kick, and if you want to get that motion going into your opponent, like he was talking about, that little hop can give you quite a bit of extra umph into the kick. It also lets you abandon that little step prior to the setup.

I have seen Cung Le use the same step over with the front leg to set his up as well.

maybe it was just me? but at the end he almost missed the pad while doing it??

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

The way he throws it makes it a pretty blind kick. I think he is basically getting his back to his opponent, and then throwing out the back kick.

It can get pretty easy to shoot that kick off to the side of the bag, and it can take a lot of practice to get it lined up right. From what I have seen him do, he is technically correct. It just isn't high. I am not sure if he is very flexible or not, but some stretching would help to not make him look so stiff when he throws it.

My back kick is one of my good kicks, and my hips aren't very flexible. I know what you mean about Chuck's kick - it isn't what I'd call pretty, but it is effective. He doesn't waste motion or stretch so far as to open himself up for a counter attack. Typical MMA in my opinion: Use what works, don't worry about the pretty.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

It did look sloppy

But that's the thing about fighting the person with the best technique often doesn't win.

Strength, endurance, hitting power can all more than make up for poor technique.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

He's also demo'ing it to others in a casual classroom environment. Watch the one kick he throws hard and knocks the partner out of the camera shot. That one connects. As he says, he doesn't look because if the opponent is there when he starts the spin, he'll be there when Chuck finishes the kick or he'll miss. He will not adjust the kick in mid-spin.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 1 month later...

This kick is also one of my most favorite compact kicks because it is just that: Compact! Everything about it shouts COMPACT! The amount of torgue that can be generated with this kick is quite explosive.

I don't use any special stance or skip/jump or nothing other than whatever stance I'm in or about to be in at the time. I always turn my head because that's the methodology of my style and I can't see myself doing it blind.

Chuck's spinning back kick works for him! I've seen Chuck use that very kick in many of his UFC fights and while Chuck's mainly a puncher...he can kick.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!