• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bouncing is good for point sparring I think, as it makes you a bit lighter on your toes. However in non point sparring, it definitely has more drawbacks that pluses, and as noted it doesn't help you on balance.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Perhaps bouncing is a bit much, but I find keeping a variable flex in the knees going helps to initiate motion, especially for being a heavy guy.

oh yeah, let me tell you we were looking forward to letting him go :brow:

Perhaps bouncing is a bit much, but I find keeping a variable flex in the knees going helps to initiate motion, especially for being a heavy guy.

If you look at all the combat sports out there and all the better fighters, none of them really bounce, they have their knees flexed and their heels off the floor... there are exceptions, notably savate guys, but they work backwards from everyone else (hands secondary weapons, feet primary) and that's simply not the way kickboxing, boxing and karate work, so unless you're a savate guy, or want to point-spar for a $5 trophy... it's a detriment IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

This is very typical in Tae Kwon Do point sparring (and olympic style sparring for that matter). I used to do it all the time until I started training in JKD Concepts and other arts. I'll agree that it is pretty useless, even in point sparring. It gives you the feeling of more rapid motion, and a nice workout, but in my experience, since you have to fit the timing of your strikes into the timing of your bounces, it is very easy to predict what a 'bouncer' will and will not be able to do. It is also very hard to hide and reduce telegraphs while bouncing.

I've never seen anyone who bounces who is harder to hit and score on, or who can hide their own movements better than anyone else. (Quite the opposite actually)

A lot of the students in my old TKD school would get into bouncing around because of seeing it in tournaments and because my old instructor (who is a poomse champion, but a not a great sparing instructor) used to teach it. Once I changed my style of sparring, I started to bounce less and less, and now I barely ever bounce (if at all). The students who do bounce around a lot have a tough time with me, because they are constantly trying to bounce in and score quick points. Instead, they usually end up getting knocked off balance (or to the ground) because they are losing contact with the ground and are thus destabilizing their balance and center of gravity, and my intercepting and countering techniques become even more effective as a result. Typical to point fighting TKDers, they also think I'm going to back up when they move towards me, and are always surprised when I do the exact opposite and move into their attack. Since they're already off the ground they, can't adjust and end up bouncing straight into an intercepting kick or punch.

Even when I just stand still and take the kicks being thrown at me, or block them, my superior balance makes me more of a wall that they are slamming into than a target that they are hitting, and again their own balance suffers as a result. The best thing to do with these guys is to just let them lunge into you. They will bounce all day, even while not doing anything else, so let them waste the energy and just keep steadily, and easily advancing. They won't know how to handle an opponent who doesn't back up.

Sure I still have to be impeccable with my timing, but I never saw a successful martial artist without impeccable timing.

And if it comes to anything other than point sparring, these 'bouncers' don't stand a chance. They just can't match up in terms of power and ability to take a solid hit. It's a very limiting method, and is only good for one thing (point fighting) if it is a good idea at all (which I submit to you it is NOT.)

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Thanks Ottman, that's really what I've been looking for is someone who's experience mirrors my own. I can't really stand all the bouncing, honestly, I've run over this former student of mine everytime I sparred and played the game how I like to, after my ACL tear and broken rib (seperated from cartilage) I sparred well, conservitively (okay crappy) and he took that as a sign of weekness, but whenever either was doing fine, I'd run over him like always, and to add insult to injury a 15-year old brown-belt of ours would blow thru him like it was nobody's business.

Like I've said, it isn't my problem anymore, the school is doing much better without him, and I've had loads of experience with this "bounce step" (I used it on and off competing from white to blue belt, then got turned onto NOT using it and increased my speed and reaction times greatly) but have found nothing but negative side-effects from it. I swear it's just a toy with your opponent and try to get him to bounce also type of thing (like the side-ways bouncing in judo) or something...

Sparring is no place for tricks, secret coaching techniques, etc. it just isn't.

• 4 months later...
Recently we had a student, who was one of our better point/tournament fighters quit to go practice with someone who practiced what he and his father (one of our former instructors) called a bounce step.

This is basically little hops continuously throughout a sparring session, that are supposed to be able to make it harder for your opponent to predict your movements, they also couple this bouncing with moves that have gotten a bum rap in our family such as the "running backfist"

I have found only a bit of a detriment with this methodoligy, messing up my timing, making it easier to get "scored" on easier to get swept. I'm wondering what if any benefits. and detriments there are to this in anyones opinion. Thank you

the bounce step is a great way to confuse your opponent , but is energy wasting , ive used it alot in JKD . It is useful at times but not something to relie on.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Ottman's post. The bounce step helps beginners feel like they are fighting because it makes their mind focus on doing something all the time. However, I think it is inadvisable, even if a lot of people do it. The reality is that many people copy what other people do, especially with regard to who seems to be winning at tournaments. I believe the bounce step will just cause a person to expend energy very quickly. The habit is almost a release for anxiety.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

i don't necessarily think its a matter of right or wrong. i see it alot and i see it as a matter of preference. i usually see faster shorter fighters use this method while slower taller fighters do not. i think its all preference and body type, some people can get away with it, some can't.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

Recently we had a student, who was one of our better point/tournament fighters quit to go practice with someone who practiced what he and his father (one of our former instructors) called a bounce step.

This is basically little hops continuously throughout a sparring session, that are supposed to be able to make it harder for your opponent to predict your movements, they also couple this bouncing with moves that have gotten a bum rap in our family such as the "running backfist"

I have found only a bit of a detriment with this methodoligy, messing up my timing, making it easier to get "scored" on easier to get swept. I'm wondering what if any benefits. and detriments there are to this in anyones opinion. Thank you

I would not advocate a "bounce step" when fighting. If you bounce around against a functional athlete, he's going to time your bounce and either punch while you are elevated, or throw you to the ground while you are elevated. It is not that hard to do.

When you are elevated, you have no ability to defend or attack. It is a moment when you are out of control of yourself.

Move with the step-slide of fencing, boxing and wrestling. It is efficient and simple.

People who think Boxers should "bounce" have had no real boxing training at all - I'd not listen to their advice too much.

It's good you are already criticicizing the move instead of just believing what you are told. Keep using those critical thinking skills.