• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I visited an ITF School yesterday

Chang Ung is supposed to be actively talking to the WTF to agree on some sort of merger or combined group.

Most practitioners are unconcerned by the politics of the various different groups. It is only when you get to the higher levels that it really becomes an issue.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have done both WTF and ITF (at different times) and the ITF school was far more interested in the technique than the fighting ability.

infact the school i went to did not allow us to enter competitions. said it was an art, not a sport.

Now you use head for something other than target.

infact the school i went to did not allow us to enter competitions. said it was an art, not a sport.

I am guessing this was more of an instructor's philosophy as opposed to an organizational one. After all, Gen. Choi was trying like mad to get ITF TKD into the Olympics for quite some time.

• 2 weeks later...

How can anyone say that TKD, regardless of affiliation, it is only an art? There are 2 styles to TKD....ART of TKD and the SPORT of it. People choose not to go through the sport of it, me including, and are attracted to the history, culture and beauty of the art. I have trained to fight and I am good at it but that is not what I get out of learning TKD. Others may see the sport of it more and not as much the art. In my humble opinion, there has to be both for one to exist.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

Well, I think that TKD is an Art, that is also a sport. I think it can be both, but doesn't have to be. Neither do I think if it is one, that it is never the other.