• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin-Ryu

Mizu_Gami

Our lineage is a bit convoluted. My original instructor was a student of Dan Glover who trained under Russell Best and Don Bohan. My current instructor (since 2001) is also a student of Mr. Glover, but got his black belt under a man named Chuck Chau who was one of A.J. Advincula's black belts.

In weapons, my instructor is John Maisenhelder. He trains in weapons under Kyoshi Jim Logue, Kyoshi Doug Perry and originally was with Hanshi Joseph Ruiz. Good stuff.

Isshinryufanatic just tested for Go-Kyu this past weekend. Hopefully he is still sore.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holland that is great,I just attended a camp with some of Bohan sensei's group Chester Halobecki was running it with J.P.Henry and Wayland sensei.It sounds like you have really good access to some great information.

I train Isshinryu under Bill Steigner sensei a first gen.student.And I train Ryu Kyu Kobudo,Tesshinkan directly under Tamayose sensei.Steigner sensei trains Matayoshi weapons.

Tom Hodges

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

Go kyu very good,is that a blue belt in your group?what are the requirements for your next level?

I am curious,I have been training Isshinryu for about four years.I have only been training for my own benefit and have not been tested and I don't know what is taught at different levels.We just train.

I was awarded rank a few years ago by a isshinryu teacher but it is embarassingly high and I do not feel I can perform to that level yet.Maybe some day.

Tom Hodges

For our school rank requirements are...

Yellow Belt (Hachi-Kyu) Basics, Basic Kicks, Seisan

Orange Belt (Shichi-Kyu) Seiuchin (and all of the yellow belt stuff)

Blue Belt (Rok-Kyu)- Naihanchi (Sho), Plus orange belt stuff

Green Belt (Go-Kyu)- Wansu, Kyan No Sai

Purple Belt (Yon-Kyu)- Chinto, Tokumine No Kun

Brown Belt (San-Kyu)- Kusanku

1 black stripe (Ni-Kyu)- Sanchin, Kusanku sai

2 black stripes(Ik-Kyu) Sunsu

We also do a goodly amount of yakosoku kumite, free sparring, and in some cases, additional weapons.

After black belt we add in the traditional isshinryu weapons katas along with some empty hand not found in Isshinryu and some additional weapons.

The weapons have my curiosity up.I train Ryu Kyu Kobudo,Tesshinkan so I know a good bit about them,what system are your additional weapons from?I have known Isshinryu Tokomine No Kun for Quite some time and just recently was taught Kyan No Sai.Some of the Isshinryu weapons kata conflict with my Tesshinkan weapons and since I have no plan to test in Isshinryu I don't want to cause problems with my Tesshinkan kata.Some of the same kata are practiced very differently like Hamahiga No Tonfa and Chatanyara No Sai.

I do enjoy the Isshinryu empty hand kata though.That looks like a good progression of information in your schools curriculum.

Tom Hodges

• 2 weeks later...