• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Serving Two Masters-Is it ok?

I think it really depends on the student and their intentions. I am always a little hesitant to share with someone that is from another style, because yes I wonder about their intentions. In my own experiences I have had people come and enroll in classes fom another school, that were there only to see how we train, and learn our fight strategies for our competative students. On the other hand I have had people come from other styles that became dedicated students.

I always tell my students that they are free to go and train with whomever they choose, that there are many options out there for them.

I honestly believe that it is okay to crosstrain as long as the styles are very different. ie) Judo & Kung-Fu, or Muay thai & jujitsu, arnis & karate. If the styles are both stand up I find it takes away, I'm sure it is the same for a combination like wrestling and jujitsu. For example I have a student that is a TKD practitioner, he has difficulty unlearning things to learn what we have to offer.

There is competition among schools, for too many reasons to name. Personally I compete with a McDojo, and I run a non-profit society. People pull down my advertising, and instructors from other schools are upset because I take some of their business away. While I visit other schools and try to be friendly, the other schools have been not very receptive, nor do they come to my school even though they are invited. I actually had one instructor stand in his doorway, and not let me enter. To me such behavior is insulting. I try to run a tournament that has a seperate division so there is no direct compettion between schools, and raise money for the fire department and food for the food bank, to have them snub it because they won't make money.

To me if someone wishes to go train elsewere they are welcome to it is their choice. They may not like me, my style, my method, my personality, or a combination of things.

But there are those who have bad intentions, and that does make people suspicious. People steal traditions or claim lineage that they do not belong to, and that is damaging. If you go to our website people are listed in our family tree so no false claims can be laid.

For example we had one guy train in our school for a few months and then compete against us under a different schools name. Again insulting. My student tore him apart. After the fight, he said to me do you remember me?

I looked at him and I said good to see you, when in my heart I was hurt, insulted, and glad he was beaten badly.

I personally believe it is okay to cross train. My question Koreantiger is what would you do if there was a tournament in which both your TKD schools attended. Who's flag would you fly. Where would your honor lie...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally, I have no problem with those that want to cross train. I find enough to satisfy my desire for new skills and challenges in my own art, but that's me. I do have a slight problem with someone studying two arts at the same time.

If I had a student come from another art, I would welcome him/her in. If they came to me a year later and said they wanted to try something else for a while, I would let them know they were welcome to come back if they so desired. However, in my opinion, they would not have the time available to train "properly" in two different arts at the same time.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

On 2002-06-03 10:12, KSN Doug wrote:

I do have a slight problem with someone studying two arts at the same time.

...in my opinion, they would not have the time available to train "properly" in two different arts at the same time.

Good point. A factor that helps when training in a second style would be the fact of not being married. :wink:

With time constraints aside (Although a very valuable point)... IMHO, If the background and foundation is there, along with the proper mind-set, it may not be a problem. But I can see where a conflict can arise if the person has only trained in a certain style for only a couple of years and then wants to train in a second style.

Take care :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

I do believe in the value of being part of community and joining together as groups to accomplish goals and dreams and all that good stuff, but personally I just feel that martial arts and even competition and all that should be done to test yourself and your character, commitment, skill, etc. and not for your affiliation or status or standing as part of a larger organization. Remember, the school and the people inside it may be friendly and the teachers may instruct you, but for the most part, you are also paying to stay there (despite certain exceptions). :karate: Obviously people need SOME way to stay in business but kinda get my point, hehehe. :grin:

Power can accomplish a lot of things. But no amount of power can force another soul to return your love.

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-06-03 13:50 ]

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

I'm sorry but if you have to sneak around behind your instructors back then you are with the wrong instructors. As an instructor myself, I strongly believe you can benefit from multiple instructors. I'm open minded and strongly feel if you train at my school and another school but you learn a different technique from the other school feel free to share it with us because if it works then we all can use it.

I think instructors that don't allow cross training are just insecure and close minded. These instructors should not be your choice to train under. There is no right or wrong way to defend yourself. There may be a better or more effective one for you but we can always learn from other systems so why limit yourself or your students.

Just my $.02

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

On 2002-06-03 11:38, Chris from CT wrote:

But I can see where a conflict can arise if the person has only trained in a certain style for only a couple of years and then wants to train in a second style.

I'm only a red belt in tae kwon do (just over three years training) and started BJJ three months ago - my training id going great! I still train just as extensively in TKD but also have made room in my schedule for 1-2 BJJ classes a week.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

On 2002-06-04 14:56, three60roundhouse wrote:

On 2002-06-03 11:38, Chris from CT wrote:

But I can see where a conflict can arise if the person has only trained in a certain style for only a couple of years and then wants to train in a second style.

I'm only a red belt in tae kwon do (just over three years training) and started BJJ three months ago - my training id going great! I still train just as extensively in TKD but also have made room in my schedule for 1-2 BJJ classes a week.

Don't say "only a red belt" because I'm sure that took alot to get there. Don't sell yourself short. First, you have three years in where I said a couple (meaning two or less). **minor point** :wink:

Second I said, "a conflict can arise." Doesn't mean it has to. Some people can and some can't handle it, be it time constraints, mind-set or other limitations. You're very fortunate, appreciate it. :nod:

We are all very lucky to be training in at least one style and benefiting from it. Some people will never know what kind of positive benefits we get from training in the martial arts.

Take care :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

OK, I am going to give this a stab. I am an instructor in two different styles of Okinawan Karate at the same time. I have also studided Kenpo, Judo, and Isshinryu. I have boxed in the Golden Gloves. If you worry about what your masters think and not look at it as what you are getting out of the training you deffinately need to go somewhere else to train, but do not forget the training that you have learned. As an instructor I encourage my students to study as many other styles as they can handle. The reason for this is that by seeing what other people are doing they can open up their minds to new ways of personal development and maybe it might win them a competition or save their butt someday. I a person says they have the best way of doing something they need to be beat against a tree. Look at what Bruce Lee did, he took several styles and mixed them with his base style to form one of the most formidable styles out there. Don't do anything that YOU will regret and keep an open mind. Remember that you are the one doing the training. :up:

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."