• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

iron body training

Hwa Rang Warrior

So like many of you I've been following human weapon. I was intrigued by the iron body training in the karate episode. I've heard of it but never really saw any of the methods. I was wondering if any one here in the US does this at there school and if so to what extend. I partially have the feeling that this is something that has been lost as the martial arts was americanized but I'd really like to find an instructor that uses these traditional methods.

Tang Soo!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't have cable so I wasn't able to see the human weapon show at all. Does any one know where I can watch it online? Also, at my dojo we do something we call iron man which could be similiar to what you are talking about but since i didn't see the show I am not sure what it is.

Basically the students take a stance while the instructor strikes them with force in different areas. He also broke what looked like a 2x2 over their stomach. Some of the other training was strength training that used more ancient methods such as lifting clay pots and spear handing through bundles of bamboo

Tang Soo!

"americanization" is not something that would contribute to loss of something like iron body. General lack of knowledge is what would contribute to it. You cannot pass on what you have not been shown. That said, many chinese schools practice iron body. it seems less common in japanese schools, IME.

technically speaking, the breaking of a 2x2 is a parlor trick, yet it actually is a difficult parlor trick to reproduce. The typical old school way to do iron body training is just with the instructor (or helper) striking the other student with open handed strikes, punches, and kicks.

Iron body training in Karate also consists of regular training with the makiwara, and other training devices (ishi sashi, nigiri game, tetsu-geta, etc.) And should only be done in the watching eye of a competant instructor. Which is a bit hard to find because most people only believe in doing kata, or sparring and neglecting a very vital part of their training.