• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what's the point? (if there is one.....)

Lately I’ve been wondering on whether or not I should continue my martial arts. I’ve realized that martial arts serve a variety of purposes for people of all walks of life, but what’s the real goal behind it all? To better yourselves? Have a closer connection to the past? Physical fitness? We’re not living in the days of hand to hand combat or complete social failure (though we‘re heading that way…). In all reality when will I truly need to defend myself with the techniques and skills I have learned? I could easily get a gun license, buy a gun and use it to protect myself or use my martial arts training and in either case get killed. The core of martial arts was to defend yourself in a world of oppression and bloodshed, but we’re living in modern day. Would you really want to live in a world of blood washing blood? In those days only the strongest (mental or physical) survived. But today like everything else people come out of nowhere (Final Fu, the people on youtube.com) and poorly represent the martial arts with their limited knowledge and talent for the “real” meaning and understanding behind the art. It’s all for the dough….and what of the true masters? Those men and women who dedicated their lives to martial arts, what do they really have to show? Techniques and knowledge that have no real use in today’s world….. So is there really any reason to put your blood, sweat, tears, effort, time, money or (in some cases your very) life in martial arts when the world and changing times have made them “arts” from them being “a way of life”?

If this is how you truly feel (and you're not just trying to stimulate an interesting conversation) than I would say you probably shouldn't train. You should never do anything part way. If you're heart is not in it, than it's not for you. Martial Arts are not for everyone. That's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

As far as the purpose for doing them, there are plenty of reasons. Everyone has addressed many of them. However, I do it because I just find it fun. I enjoy gaining mastery of my body, controlling my motions and emotions. Sure, there are plenty of other ways to attain this. Among them are sports, meditation, and counter-cross stitch. But martial arts are what I have chosen for the past 22 years.

In the end we must all chose our own paths. You seem to have reached a fork in your road. Take it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martial_Artist, I don’t wish to diminish what you have written, but dont you think your approach to a simple question is a bit harsh. Surely there are more reasons to study Martial arts than just self defence.

Well, it might be a bit harsh, but I believe in being honest. And I, personally, believe the martial arts are for self-defense. I wrote another post on this forum a couple of years ago about that. There are many reasons for the study, but I believe, and this is my opinion, you should be studying a combative for its combative qualities. If you like exercise and moving around you could just as easily take ballet or yoga or aerobic dance or even tae bo.

But, delving into that topic, would already sabotage a thread that has been sabotaged.

As for the Pure Art. That is something I share personally. Suffice it to say I have given many examples of its philosophy in the many posts I have placed in this forum. A review of which would satisfy a basic inquiry. It can easily be summed up as the purity of human fighting, but like all physical things it is better explained live, rather than through words. I could attempt to write an explanation of a proper fighting stance or how to perform a lay up in basketball, but no length of words would ever suffice in comparison to simply showing you.

And, as such, the amount of words it would take to give a basic understanding of its principles would surely detract from this thread, and I am not inclined to start a thread about it. Nor am I seeking to promulgate it further.

I stopped teaching four years ago when I moved back to the US from the Philippines, where I taught mostly. (mainly because a lot of people over there can use it frequently.) I have now restricted its instruction to family members and close colleagues.

That, I'm afraid, will have to do.

MA

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Thanks for the clarification, Martial_Artist. I would have to look into other states terminology to see what it says there. Where I live, they are seperate.

And, as such, the amount of words it would take to give a basic understanding of its principles would surely detract from this thread, and I am not inclined to start a thread about it. Nor am I seeking to promulgate it further.

I stopped teaching four years ago when I moved back to the US from the Philippines, where I taught mostly. (mainly because a lot of people over there can use it frequently.) I have now restricted its instruction to family members and close colleagues.

That, I'm afraid, will have to do.

MA

Thank you for that. Does it have a name?

I supposse we all like to think we do "the pure art" really.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com