• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what's the point? (if there is one.....)

I think that there are many reasons that you should continue martial arts training. I think that they are all very personal and if you can't find a reason or a drive inside you anymore you need to think hard about why you first became involved in martial arts. I personally want to become an instructor, I see so many of the kids in the classes that I help with have issues in their everyday lives and see what pride and empowerment that the classes give them. I want to give that to people and see that I can make a difference for people who on their own may not be able to. I have also improved my life so much since starting martial arts I just want to learn more and more to become everything I can become spirtually, mentally, and physically. So what I can say is that please before you make any rash decisions please sit and really think about that fire, that drive that started you in the first place. Good luck

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....to better oneself {physically and mentally}, remains on of the better 'why practice the MA'...

later!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Well problem number one ----- Get in a real class. Not saying your friend can not teach but if you want to learn its more than just picking a few moves here and a few moves there. You get better when you do what you don't like doing.

AGREED!

Number two ------------- the real world not many if any teens below the ago of 18 no matter how skilled they are in any fighting system are going to be able to defeat a large man who is trying tor REALLY hurt them. Sorry thats just the facts. Age and Maturity are just things you can't teach.

AGREED!

carrying weapons ------------ I wish somone would do a study on this but Ill be my left arm that more people who pull a weapon on a attacker are hurt than those who just tossed them their wallet.

AGREED!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Sorry I made you use upper case letters lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I want to start by saying that Montana's story really hits home about firearm usage. If someone pulls a gun on you first, you are behind the 8 ball.

Now, as for your initial post. I really don't think that the state of the Martial Arts in the world today is all that bad. You are taking a few bad instances, and blowing them up to include every teacher, every style, etc. That is just not the case. A few people mentioned the fact of bettering yourself. A few also mentioned because it is fun. I agree that if it isn't fun, then it probably isn't worth your time. And if you like to improve yourself physically, mentally, spiritually, or what ever way you get out of it, doesn't that make it worth it?

Martial Arts can be useful in helping you protect yourself, as well. Just because things have advanced so much to where we are today, doesn't mean that dangers don't still exist. MA isn't the cure-all, but every little bit of knowledge that you can get will help you out.

All in all, I don't think things are that bad. However, if you are burned out on it, perhaps it is time to move on to something else.

Here is a little food for thought. Not everyone here will agree with me, but I think that if you by a gun, and learn to use it, train with it, etc., then being a weapon of warfare, you would still be learning a Martial style. At least, in my book.

The prob. with a gun, mace, knife, batton, chain, key, etc or anything else you carry as a weapon is you have to get it and have it handy.

99% of the time you may but that one time you don't will be the time you get jumped. As I said above a weapon does you no good unless you are ready to use it..... Espically a gun...

Mace or some sort of Peppar Spay IMHO is the best weapon to carry because no one dies in the end. Truthly no one should be hurt to bad. Pluse you got range and its easy to carry and anyone can use it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I totally agree with your post about a gun and quitting MA. I have posted many times that a gun is a great tool for self defense and you should get one. But you should still train. Find the right style and instructor. it is a lifetime of exercise, not a flash in the pan thing. Work on your core things that make you stronger and more balanced. Do anything, but don't quit. There's a lot of good MA stuff out there for you to learn.... and what is the harm?

place clever martial arts phrase here

Martial arts are about defending yourself. If you think you training is not allowing you to learn the techniques you need to protect yourself then find another school. If you're in martial arts for other reasons other than learning how to defend yourself, then you can easily suppliment that training with other activities. Now if you're enjoying other aspects of your training that's great, but at the core of it, you should be learning how to defend yourself should you ever have to.

Granted there are a lot of stuff out in the martial arts that I would consider junk, but there is also a lot that instructors and students who really know their stuff. And I'd say that the vast majority of them you won't find on Final Fu and Youtube.

Furthermore, if you're going to carry a weapon, gun, knife, pepper spray, stun gun, or otherwise, you need to do so with intelligence. This means that you have to not only know how to use the weapon effectively; you must also know it's strengths, weaknesses, and when you should and shouldn't try to use it.

Just because you have a CCW permit doesn't mean that you'll be able to stop all instances of violence against you. Here in this post I recalled an instance similiar to Montana's previous example where I called out a lady who claimed all she needed was her gun she had in her purse.

In conclusion, I'm all for people carrying weapons to protect themselves just as long as they don't fall back on it as a crutch for their safety. You need to train in all aspects of defending yourself. After all, what happens when you take away someone's crutch--they fall down.

Don't all jump on me but what's the problem here? If he doesn't see a point in it, then why shouldn't he just stop? Our reasons for doing the things we do are ours and personal to us. Even if he agrees with them and takes some on as his own, they will still only be what we have said and what he is repeating. Some things he needs to "find" for himself for them to be truely personal to him.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

The prob. with a gun, mace, knife, batton, chain, key, etc or anything else you carry as a weapon is you have to get it and have it handy.

99% of the time you may but that one time you don't will be the time you get jumped. As I said above a weapon does you no good unless you are ready to use it..... Espically a gun...

This is a good point. Here is a scenario for you: you are walking down the street at night, and minding your own business. You scan the environment, and the people around, like you always do. You round a corner, and after passing a door, someone comes out, grabs you from behind, and puts a gun in your face. What do you do? Do you go for your gun? If so, it may get you killed. Once it reaches this point, the only way to deter the situation would be to be walking down the street with your gun in your hand, not concealed.

Now, don't get me wrong. I think conceal and carry is a great thing. However, it isn't a cure-all.

That said, if you want to quit the MA, then quit. If you want to buy a gun, then do so. But, you may still be able to find what you are looking for. Many of us have.