• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what's the point? (if there is one.....)

Lately I’ve been wondering on whether or not I should continue my martial arts. I’ve realized that martial arts serve a variety of purposes for people of all walks of life, but what’s the real goal behind it all? To better yourselves? Have a closer connection to the past? Physical fitness? We’re not living in the days of hand to hand combat or complete social failure (though we‘re heading that way…). In all reality when will I truly need to defend myself with the techniques and skills I have learned? I could easily get a gun license, buy a gun and use it to protect myself or use my martial arts training and in either case get killed. The core of martial arts was to defend yourself in a world of oppression and bloodshed, but we’re living in modern day. Would you really want to live in a world of blood washing blood? In those days only the strongest (mental or physical) survived. But today like everything else people come out of nowhere (Final Fu, the people on youtube.com) and poorly represent the martial arts with their limited knowledge and talent for the “real” meaning and understanding behind the art. It’s all for the dough….and what of the true masters? Those men and women who dedicated their lives to martial arts, what do they really have to show? Techniques and knowledge that have no real use in today’s world….. So is there really any reason to put your blood, sweat, tears, effort, time, money or (in some cases your very) life in martial arts when the world and changing times have made them “arts” from them being “a way of life”?

<3

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post. The reason why i continue to train is because its something i enjoy and a way to maintain a certain level of fitness and stay active. (Note: i train at home so it doesnt really cost me anything, and i pick and choose the things i like to do and direct my training towards certain goals i want to reach).

Also i like researching self protection specifically. I no longer have much of an interest in the tradition etc.

So i suppose it depends on if you enjoy what your doing or not. If you dont like training anymore, than dont. Lifes to short to spend it doing things of no use. But i do think its important to find something you enjoy doing that will help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Good post- I think Martial Artests often find themselves asking these questions.

Honestly, at this point, the reason I stick it out is because I like bonding with my fiance over something that is fun.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Just a short story here. Way back in my college and early martial arts training days (1978 I think) I was having coffee inb the college student union building with several male friends between classes. One of these guys, a strange, paranoid fellow, started asking me questions about my training and why I did it. When self-defense against an attacker came up he made the point that he would defend himself with his gun. I said.."Oh really?"...and then launched myself across the table (remember, this was college, so it was sort of a "show off" thing :roll: ), grabbed him by the shirt, pulled him across the table onto the floor and proceeded to "beat" the snot out of him. No, I didn't actually make any contact with him, but threw about 5 hard, straight punches at his face while he was on the floor.

He had no defense against it and if I'd wanted to, could have made a real mess out of him.

I then said..."What good did yoru gun do against that?" His reply was "I'd go to my dorm room and get my gun and come back and kill you." I said..."To late, you're already DEAD!"..and that's one reason I study the arts.

My point here (that was a short story?) is that unless you walk around with a loaded, cocked and ready handgun in your hand at all times, what good will it do you?

For myself, there are many reasons I continue, for more than 30 years now, to train in the arts. Self-defense is one reason, physical fitness another, fascination with the art another...and mostly, it's just plain FUN!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

You're either a sheep, a wolf, or a sheepdog. Make up your mind and live your choice.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Yeah If I was you I would just stop training....

If anyone is in MA for any other reason than to better themselves they are in it for the wrong reason. Now that may come in a lot of shapes and forms. As a Fighter, To get in shape, for Self Defense, Stress, Education, Hobby, Meet Women or Men, Socail reaons, Popularity, Rehab from past injry, etc. I don't care but you train to better your life. Just like lifting weights, running, ridding a bike, swimming, walking the dog. There are a lot of reason as to why you think you do it but in the end we do it to better ourselves. Your looking to hard into it.

BTW carry a gun if you want but if you don't have the guts to pull the trigger I'd say your in a world of hurt if its life or death.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

well you see...i don't know the age for a gun or knife or hidden weapon licence...and i'm below 18 so i doubt i would qualify XD

Yet I still want to protect my friends, people i love, and innocent people in general. I dedicate mylife to it. So, the only thing I got left is martial arts. It doesn't cost me any money because I study on my own, I have no real teacher..though I have this guy I concider the closest thing to a true teacher..

Istudy many martial arts. Techniques, concepts, history... I try them out and add what I like and what works for me right now. I intend to solidify it to make it something other then jeet kun do in the future XD

so yea, that's my reason :)

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

Well problem number one ----- Get in a real class. Not saying your friend can not teach but if you want to learn its more than just picking a few moves here and a few moves there. You get better when you do what you don't like doing.

Number two ------------- the real world not many if any teens below the ago of 18 no matter how skilled they are in any fighting system are going to be able to defeat a large man who is trying tor REALLY hurt them. Sorry thats just the facts. Age and Maturity are just things you can't teach.

carrying weapons ------------ I wish somone would do a study on this but Ill be my left arm that more people who pull a weapon on a attacker are hurt than those who just tossed them their wallet.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

There are so many reasons that I don't have time to go into.

But I will say that most attacks are on people who won't have time to draw out the firearm.

Also, over here in the UK firearms are illegal. Unless you are talking about high powered air rifles, rimfires and shotguns, in which case you need a fire arms certificate. Which still doesn't allow you to carry them on your person for self defence purposes.

If anyone is in MA for any other reason than to better themselves they are in it for the wrong reason. Now that may come in a lot of shapes and forms. As a Fighter, To get in shape, for Self Defense, Stress, Education, Hobby, Meet Women or Men, Socail reaons, Popularity, Rehab from past injry, etc. I don't care but you train to better your life. Just like lifting weights, running, ridding a bike, swimming, walking the dog. There are a lot of reason as to why you think you do it but in the end we do it to better ourselves. Your looking to hard into it.

Well said sir.

I think it was Funakoshi sensei that, when asked why he practiced Karate, replied...."to get better".

Says it all really.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com